Problem. Amp only wakes up when volume hits 50%

Participant count
  • Participant list

butterMilk
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
BC
Amp is a jl slash 1000/1 , think its a v2

A few times now I have noticed in the morning when I play music there would be no bass. Then as I turn up the volume eventually the bass kicks in. Then bass doesn't seem to kick in all at once, it kind of flutters for a second or 2, then seems to play ok.

Tonight I had my buddy start my car, and I had the multi meter to check for power on the amp speaker terminals. So he started my car, the amp fired up normal (was watching the power lights) but there was no voltage. He turned the volume up and still there was no power at the speaker terminals. He switched to a bass heavy track and boom! The sub fired up, and the multi meter started detecting power.

This problem seems to just happen sometimes, so I'm stumped. Any help is much appreciated!

Could just be a bad amp ground. Check power and ground connections very carefully.

How the amp is connected to your headunit - is there any processing or LOC? How is the REMOTE input on the amp connected?

Could just be a bad amp ground. Check power and ground connections very carefully.How the amp is connected to your headunit - is there any processing or LOC? How is the REMOTE input on the amp connected?
The amp is connected to the head unit with a nice set of RCA's, no processing or LOC.

The remote is run from the HU.

I guess Ill have to check the grounds, though I think I have a good ground. I used to run a volt meter and never dropped bellow 12.5v. And the amp will power up, but won't put power to the speaker wire terminals.

I was checking continuity on the RCA input on the amp (ground), And there is continuity on the amp pre-out, but no continuity on the RCA inputs. Should there be continuity there?

try a different sub
I checked with a multi meter, and the amp turns on but doesn't send out any power to the speaker wire terminals at the amp. And then all the sudden when the amp ''wakes up'' the multi meter will start reading power the the terminals. I checked with the sub disconnected.

might be time to replace or fix your amp. last time I talked to JL about 6 months ago they said $125 is what it runs to repair an amp out of warranty. Just have to find a jl dealer to send it out for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.