Pre Out Only headunits

m()nk3yb()y
10+ year member

Shock the Monkey!
Kansas
What all headunits are just pre outs? Everything will be amped I just don't want an internal amplifier. I'd rather save that power for the real amps. So far I've only found two, a Clarion ProAudio DRZ9255 and the Eclipse 8053 (couldn't find the web link). And I have a sinking feeling the Eclipse is probably gonna be close in cost to the Clarion. I've heard that the Alpine 79 series is also amp less but I can't find any links to any current models. Are ampless headunits going the way of the cassettes decks or am I just blind? Thoughts? Help? Opinions? Winning lotto numbers? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

There are many ampless headunits out there.

C90, C910, P1, P1R, 8240, 8250, 8250ti, P9, drz/drx9255, Z1, etc etc etc

Which one you choose is dependant on how much money you have and what features you're looking for. They vary in price from about 150USD to 700USD

I'm sorry I guess my newbness is showing through when I ask what brands preceed those model numbers? I recognize a few like the clarion and eclipse but the rest aren't familiar to me... And are those model numbers for new 2004 lines or are they gonna be older models? I expect to pay around 300 for decent headunit here as well. Although I know saving up more, might be the wiser way to go.

Eclipse 8053 to add to that list, it was a 2003 model that they kept for 2004 as well. Excellent HU, i owned one! Also, most of alpine's HU's have a setting to turn off the internal amplifiers...it's under settings, you can select "power-ic: off". That's what i've always done. peace

NG

Here is the list from Mark_ab w/ manufacturers and current production:

Older:

Sony C90

Sony C910

Pioneer P1

Pioneer P1R

Pioneer ODR

Clarion DRX9255

Alpine 7969 (don't buy a 7949, they had some problems)

Currently in Production:

Clarion drz9255

Denon Z1 (~$2500 and hard to find in the states)

Eclipse 8053

Pioneer P9

Alpine F#1 Status 7990

Not a current model, but can still be found as new because of a recent liquidation:

Rockford Fosgate 8240

Rockford Fosgate 8250

Rockford Fosgate 8250ti

The 8053 is ~$500, not too bad. The P9 combo will cost you upward of $1k, and the Denon Z1 is pretty much a status symbol only.

the Denon Z1 is pretty much a status symbol only.
LIES! It sounds $1000 better than any other singular head unit on the market. You just don't know what $1000 sounds like. n00b!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/silly.gif.3549b64aaa5b6729eb8e865319a3234f.gif

There's some McIntosh head unit as well, dual 20 bit burr browns, 5V, meh. If you want to dish out fat cash for a name I suppose. Probably some Nak units out there without the internal amplifier, I'm not familiar with them and am too lazy to not be ignorant.

i wouldn't recommend buy an ampless one because resale value *****. i learned the hard way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif also if you ever change your system and decide you need speaker outputs you don't have them. there good headunits out the with internal amps.

i wouldn't recommend buy an ampless one because resale value *****. i learned the hard way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif also if you ever change your system and decide you need speaker outputs you don't have them. there good headunits out the with internal amps.

I would !! Head units without internal amps are very much worth it. They run alot cooler than units with internal amps and are normally more high end than units that have amps. One thing to remember about units with internal amps is that just because you aren't using them doesn't mean they aren't dissipating heat. As far as resale goes, anyone who is serious about AUDIO will pay for a nice ampless head unit because they appreciate that. If you try to sell to a younger guy who doesn't much care about sound so much won't buy an ampless and even if he did he wouldn't justify paying higher dollar for one without an amp.

-Adam

I would !! Head units without internal amps are very much worth it. They run alot cooler than units with internal amps and are normally more high end than units that have amps. One thing to remember about units with internal amps is that just because you aren't using them doesn't mean they aren't dissipating heat. As far as resale goes, anyone who is serious about AUDIO will pay for a nice ampless head unit because they appreciate that. If you try to sell to a younger guy who doesn't much care about sound so much won't buy an ampless and even if he did he wouldn't justify paying higher dollar for one without an amp.
-Adam

i tried for about 3 months to sell my panasonic drx900u. went for $425 new ended up finally selling it for $100. i consider a pioneer 8600 high end and it has an internal amp and works just fine.

wellll i do not consider pioneer to be high-end. There premier line is nice tho. But that is just my .2 cents

lol, premier and pioneer are the same. if you don't consider the 8600/9600 higher end then what do you consider higher end?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.