Powering below RMS?

infowarrior45
10+ year member

Hello,

I was wondering what kind of sound I would getting by only powering a set of Focal Polyglass 165VB's with 50 watts instead of the 75RMS that they can take? The reason I ask is I want to buy a Zapco Reference 360.4, but it only does 50w per channel. I can't bridge it because I am running mids in the rear. So, I am wondering if this sounds good, or if another amp may be a better fit?

Thanks. Well, what I'm wondering is if it's ideal? I really want this amp for the SQ, but maybe I'd be better of checking out a more powerful amp from Sundown, Eclipse, Arc Audio, etc?

You will be just fine, quite often people underpower speakers, its abesolutly not harmful, and you just have to see for yourself if it plays clean at the volume you enjoy with that power, thats kind of up to you. Generally speaking I think you will be more than happy with your setup and will see no need to increase power.

RMS is the maximum power the manufacturer suggests you run to the woofer. All of this "under powering" business is rubbish. People on here think you have to give your woofer 50% more than it's rating to get good results. I really wish this forum would get straightened out by someone. There is just so much information that is off base. Most is not TOTALLY false, but is significantly skewed.

RMS is the maximum power the manufacturer suggests you run to the woofer. All of this "under powering" business is rubbish. People on here think you have to give your woofer 50% more than it's rating to get good results. I really wish this forum would get straightened out by someone. There is just so much information that is off base. Most is not TOTALLY false, but is significantly skewed.
Everyone on here already knows this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Noone is suggesting anything like this.

You sound mad bro

Would you rather I not say underpower and I instead say running a speaker at a power level below maximum suggested handleing? bcuz that just sounds r-tarded.

Exactly, "under powering" just means running the speaker within its designed specs. I don't see why everyone thinks this is a problem...

Everyone on here already knows this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Noone is suggesting anything like this.You sound mad bro

Would you rather I not say underpower and I instead say running a speaker at a power level below maximum suggested handleing? bcuz that just sounds r-tarded.
It's not under powering, it's not fully powering. You can only under power the amp, or things on an a/c circuit. No responsive device can be under powered.

Exactly, "under powering" just means running the speaker within its designed specs. I don't see why everyone thinks this is a problem...
Well I wouldn't call it a problem, but many people out there are looking for maximum output which increasing power can help achieve granted you stay within the suggested power handleing. You can even overpower a speaker if you know how it is made and what it can REALLY handle, however I wouldn't call anything above suggested power handling safe no matter what the speaker is.

It's not under powering, it's not fully powering. You can only under power the amp, or things on an a/c circuit. No responsive device can be under powered.
People are just familiar with these terms meaning what we say them to. Thats the only reason we say underpower, all we are doing is referring to the fact that it is at a power level lower than the maximum suggested power. Kind of like how everyone calls an adjustable wrench a Crescent wrench...shiz just caught on.

As long as the amp is supplying clean power at your listening levels it's fine.

If it isn't loud enough, deaden your door. 50RMS with deadening will be louder and sound better than 75RMS without any deadening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.