Power Distribution, Questions Reguarding HiAmp/Watt Setups???

smullen
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
St. Louis
Power Distribution, Questions Reguarding HiAmp/Watt Setups???

For those of you that have several additional batteries and several power hungry amps, how are you wiring it all up???

Especially those with 5-6K and up....

EX:

How did you connect from the front to the back? What guage wire, How many Runs??? How'd you connect it???

I'm guessing most use one or more runs of 0/1 ga wire....

Back in the back, I'm guessing you fused it with a large fuse or breaker right before the batterys...

Then, how did you tie all the batts together???

Then, What kind of Power Distribution Block are you using??

Most of the ones I have seen have have like 1-2 0/1 ga. inputs and like 2-6 4Ga outputs...

Most of the new amps I've looked at have one or more 0/1 ga inputs, so those retail Distribution Blocks like the from Rockford, Phoenix Gold, Esoteric, etc. etc... Won't cut it....

Pics would be awsome!!!!!

You have to get kind of creative. multiple runs front to back isn't a bad idea and have busbars to handle everything makes things easy and simply better

This is the 4 runs of power and 4 runs of ground 1/0 I have running front to back and how it's all connected in the rear to the 2 D3100's (.25" thick x 1.25" wide copper bar connecting them, with tapped holes across it for connection points)

DSCN2218.jpg

Lol, thanks. And I made those with the guidance of a buddy and using his tools (I actually see him viewing the thread, lol)...so I can't really //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Some day I'll add metal tools to my shop but dont have the cash right now.

I just hate how a ran out of blue 1/0 gauge so I had to use silver on the pair of power runs to the amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

haha i'm picky like that too I prolly would of waited and ordered more blue LOL none the less its hidden under box anyways. Nice job tho thats the best way and how most people wire and run multiple wires to batts.

Lol, thanks. And I made those with the guidance of a buddy and using his tools (I actually see him viewing the thread, lol)...so I can't really //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Some day I'll add metal tools to my shop but dont have the cash right now.
I just hate how a ran out of blue 1/0 gauge so I had to use silver on the pair of power runs to the amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
lol I would be that buddy:D

Yea, right now the busbars and batts are in plain site though with this setup...it still doesnt look horrible but down the road they'll be fairly covered by more stuff going in the trunk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Nice, nice. My mind says to use thicker busbars, but that's just me. Sexy though.

For future reference, when making a low inductance pulse based system (we're talking

I made a distro block in my other system that was a 1.25"x1.25"x6" copper bar, drilled holes on one face for the wire connection, and drilled a smaller hole perpendicular to it on another face to make a setscrew distribution block style thing. By far the best connection style you can find. I believe I used .53" for the main holes, and whatever the size is for 5/16"-18 bolts for the set screw.

See, that's just me though. xD Current density calculations in my head.

Bends are not important here. I was just reminded of something way back when I was working on pulse delivery systems.

Probably not, those look like 1"X1/4" buss. The rule of thumb is 1000A/square inch of buss cross sectional area. 250Amp max if that is indeed their size.
not according to all of the charts i have seen, I did miss label by putting continuous on the last post . but the manufacturer that makes this copper alloy says on there chart that this size copper will only incur a 30*C rise from 560 amps and in car audio since the power is never continuous it can take even more then that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.