Pontiac Guys, Supercharger Upgrade?

ciaonzo
5,000+ posts

TheContinental
WI
Long story short, I cheaply acquired a 2006 Pontiac Torrent that I had intended to flip. I'm more of an import guy, Japanese, German, and such. Turns out it's pretty useful to me and pretty decent overall for what it is. So much so, that I would like to bolt on a supercharger to make it that much more enjoyable.

I'm having problems finding a kit specifically for the Torrent. Is there a good reason for this, or should I be able to buy one of the Pontiac kits and make it work? If so, am I looking at additional fuel injector or CPU upgrades as well? I'm pretty good with vehicles, I just want to hear from anyone with experience with this. Especially the Pontiac gurus.

I have the 3.4 v6. What do I need?

This gonna work? --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-REMANUFACTURED-GM-SUPERCHARGER-FOR-BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-/120833089449?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APontiac&hash=item1c22369fa9&vxp=mtr

yikes. hideous thing and a bad investment of time and money.
Jesus, does everybody on the forum have to do the whole 'Your crap *****, get better stuff or STFU' instead of giving helpful advice about what somebody can do with their situation?

Call me butthurt because Pontiac, but I see it everywhere on the forum.

Long story short, I cheaply acquired a 2006 Pontiac Torrent that I had intended to flip. I'm more of an import guy, Japanese, German, and such. Turns out it's pretty useful to me and pretty decent overall for what it is. So much so, that I would like to bolt on a supercharger to make it that much more enjoyable.
I'm having problems finding a kit specifically for the Torrent. Is there a good reason for this, or should I be able to buy one of the Pontiac kits and make it work? If so, am I looking at additional fuel injector or CPU upgrades as well? I'm pretty good with vehicles, I just want to hear from anyone with experience with this. Especially the Pontiac gurus.

This gonna work? --> Genuine Remanufactured GM supercharger for Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac | eBay
Well what you linked is for a 3800 series not a 3400 ... That's just the start ... Even if you modded it got it working etc .. Your still putting more stress on that drivetrain then it was built to handle and will see problems eventually .. I've seen the kits tossed on 3.8 camaros and grand prix's .. Trans is usually the first to take a **** ... They make 3.4 kits and everything else needed .. Find the right kit one made for the 3.4 grand am etc .. And go from there... Just be prepared for issues cause your gunna have a ton ... Goodluck

Opionions aren't much help. Like I said, I'm an import guy. I'm not a Pontiac fanboy, can't really stand GM. I realize the fucking link isn't the exact kit. This is why I made the thread - for guys who may have done this, or who may own the 3.4l that came with a supercharger, guys with the actual experience. I don't love the vehicle, I drive it. And I want to beat the fuck out of it and have it go fast occasionally. It's pretty peppy as it is and handles quite nicely, especially for as HEAVY as it is. Telling me that the Gran Prix and Grand Am's that came with superchargers, have a more robust tranny than the one that came on the heaviest vehicle to have the 3.4? Okay, then. But I want to hear it from a guy who owns one and knows it to be true so I can look in the right direction.

Opionions aren't much help. Like I said, I'm an import guy. I'm not a Pontiac fanboy, can't really stand GM. I realize the fucking link isn't the exact kit. This is why I made the thread - for guys who may have done this, or who may own the 3.4l that came with a supercharger, guys with the actual experience. I don't love the vehicle, I drive it. And I want to beat the fuck out of it and have it go fast occasionally. It's pretty peppy as it is and handles quite nicely, especially for as HEAVY as it is. Telling me that the Gran Prix and Grand Am's that came with superchargers, have a more robust tranny than the one that came on the heaviest vehicle to have the 3.4? Okay, then. But I want to hear it from a guy who owns one and knows it to be true so I can look in the right direction.
What grand am stock came supercharged ? Infact what 3.4 at all did ? And yes in the 3.8 models like the gtp Grand Prix etc ... There was beefier parts .. and diff gearing etc. .. They make 3.4 kits for grand am's etc.. you can make work .. From my knowledge gm didn't produce supercharged 3.4's in these (or any) cars stock

What grand am stock came supercharged ? Infact what 3.4 at all did ? And yes in the 3.8 models like the gtp Grand Prix etc ... There was beefier parts .. and diff gearing etc. .. They make 3.4 kits for grand am's etc.. you can make work .. From my knowledge gm didn't produce supercharged 3.4's in these (or any) cars stock
I'm sure you feel you are somehow being helpful in between all of your multiple periods... but you're sounding like a dick. Instead of asking the guy who's asking the questions, rhetorical questions, perhaps you could explain that these things maybe weren't offered stock. Or you could elaborate on the ways that the tranny was more robust, in detail. I'm resourceful, I can use the internet. Right now, I'm using it to fast track the information part of this job. CPU work, fuel injectors, fuel pump upgrade advice. It is a forum, afterall. You would have been much more help to point me toward a link that can get me to this result.
med_gallery_1_2_33217.jpg

23162170040_large.jpg

normal_002_2.jpg

23867670076_large.jpg

I'm sure you feel you are somehow being helpful in between all of your multiple periods... but you're sounding like a dick. Instead of asking the guy who's asking the questions, rhetorical questions, perhaps you could explain that these things maybe weren't offered stock. Or you could elaborate on the ways that the tranny was more robust, in detail. I'm resourceful, I can use the internet. Right now, I'm using it to fast track the information part of this job. CPU work, fuel injectors, fuel pump upgrade advice. It is a forum, afterall. You would have been much more help to point me toward a link that can get me to this result.
med_gallery_1_2_33217.jpg

23162170040_large.jpg

normal_002_2.jpg

23867670076_large.jpg
Wasn't trying to be a **** was trying to help ya out .. I'm shure you can use a computer that's why I told you to look into grand am kits .. I had the 3.4 gt grand am with ram air a few years back looked into kits myself .. From what I have seen it's not worth it .. Pricey and when it is done you still will be constantly repairing and tweaking things ... Good luck .. All those pics above look like some good cash for the price invested to make it right you gotta ask yourself is it gunna be worth it ? For a daily driven torrent you say you don't even like ...

This gonna work? --> Genuine Remanufactured GM supercharger for Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac | eBay
You could just do like the standard more air, more fuel, and exhaust. and it's a torrent so idk why u would do the supercharger for it. thats just what i think

Okay heres the factual part. To get it installed and tuned will run easily 6000.get a gtp if you want supercharged. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

WOW!! Not trying to be a **** but does anyone know what they are talking about in here? Doesn't seem like it. With my 10 years of mechanical experience at a dealership and a home town shop and as a shade tree mechanic I have worked on almost everything. I've also owned a ton of **** including Pontiac, currently own a 01 Bonneville 3.8 N/A. All I'm saying is yes the 3.8 supercharger will work on a 3.4, maybe not be as easy as just bolting it up and running, but that's normal for any n/a motor that you're going to do forced induction on. At least you will have to get it tuned depending on how much boost you want to make. I wouldn't recommend anything over 5-6 psi on a stock motor with a supercharger. might have to change/modify a little but not much. Another option is a procharger, for the forced induction dummies that is a belt driven turbo.... That's all I'm saying here. If OP would like more input/ideas please pm me!

WOW!! Not trying to be a **** but does anyone know what they are talking about in here? Doesn't seem like it. With my 10 years of mechanical experience at a dealership and a home town shop and as a shade tree mechanic I have worked on almost everything. I've also owned a ton of **** including Pontiac, currently own a 01 Bonneville 3.8 N/A. All I'm saying is yes the 3.8 supercharger will work on a 3.4, maybe not be as easy as just bolting it up and running, but that's normal for any n/a motor that you're going to do forced induction on. At least you will have to get it tuned depending on how much boost you want to make. I wouldn't recommend anything over 5-6 psi on a stock motor with a supercharger. might have to change/modify a little but not much. Another option is a procharger, for the forced induction dummies that is a belt driven turbo.... That's all I'm saying here. If OP would like more input/ideas please pm me!
Lol change modify a little not much ? How many of these swaps have you done ?? I've read into this a lot more them u think with v6 camaros and grand ams in the past .. Nothing is built to support that extra power and even getting the car to allow any more is decent cash ... I wouldn't bash people knowledge based on what they typed in a single thread .. I've built 2 mustangs up myself and worked around cars for years .. It's not a easy or cheap task he's looking at .. So I'm clueless about your last post bro

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.