Polyfill in sealed doors???

Gunk

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
I was just wondering if stuffing a bunch of polyfill in a waterproof bag and putting in my front doors could give me a better mid bass response.

My doors are sealed up pretty good... a little hole for the handle and lock levers to pass through and a spot where a wire bundle has to pass through but other than that, pretty air tight.

The bass just sounds different than I expected... like its kinda, hollow? Can't really figure how to describe it. I got one piece of open cell foam in a bag glued directly behind the speaker but its not that thick of a piece.

Anybody ever put polyfill in their doors??

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
I’ve never had a door be too small personally. Normally the opposite and filled with spray foam. Even with two 10s.

OP
Gunk

Gunk

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
Yea, its a Neon. Small doors. Getting the 8 around the window crank on passenger side was not fun... One door is power other manual.

OP
Gunk

Gunk

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
Lol. When i got the car, the driver door was dented bad. I replaced it with a junkyard door from a different model... that one had power window/locks. So my driver door has a power window.... kinda nice. I couldnt figure out how to wire the power lock. Its on a weird circuit that isnt just a 12v on/off.

OP
Gunk

Gunk

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
So, would you guys say the Crescendo PWX is designed more for mid bass or to just do midrange loud?

The guys at DIY are telling me its not made for midbass and I should get the Eric Stevens MB8.

OP
Gunk

Gunk

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
Pwx is a great midbass woofer.
Maybe I just need to give em more power.

The amp is rated at 125x4 but the dyno has em doing 175x4 @ 4ohms. Thats one reason I settled on this amp.
I could bridge the amp to get 400x2 @ 4 ohms... and I would expect thats underrated as well. But maybe giving the 8s double the rms they are rated at is asking for trouble...

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
They can take some power. I had my 4 10s on a DSP3000. Never clamped power to them though.

OP
Gunk

Gunk

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
They can take some power. I had my 4 10s on a DSP3000. Never clamped power to them though.
Did you have your 10s in a sealed box? I'm assuming you can't fit 2 10s in a door.

Just wondering how you did your install.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Two 10s per door sealed. I don’t have any pictures on my phone but I should have some on my computer somewhere.

Reactions: Gunk

mr roo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 19, 2020
Richmond Va
Pwx is a great midbass woofer.
how do you define great? Its efficient and you get them loud as crap. On the other hand its a 8" sub that doesnt do well past 80 hz and sound Ok doing it. The OP is trying to get midbass out of a speaker that doesnt do true midbass that well. Thats the issue he is having even with all the door treatments and being sealed up.

OP
Gunk

Gunk

CarAudio.com Well Known
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
how do you define great? Its efficient and you get them loud as crap. On the other hand its a 8" sub that doesnt do well past 80 hz and sound Ok doing it. The OP is trying to get midbass out of a speaker that doesnt do true midbass that well. Thats the issue he is having even with all the door treatments and being sealed up.
What frequency range is generally considered mid bass? Or what frequency range is the kick drum playing at? Im assuming that the kick drum is generally what you want your mid bass speakers playing well.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Last I checked he isn't running it as strictly a midbass woofer... Both those comments just contradicted each other.

"Its an 8" sub that doesn't do well past 80hz"
"Its a pro audio midrange that is a bad idea for mid bass"

Which is it? I ran them. Not the best sounding in midrange but they weren't terrible. Mid bass was very good on them and they would play under 80hz no problem and with authority.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds