PLZ HELP

Participant count
  • Participant list

Riven
10+ year member

Saint jo
i know i been posting alot and im sorry but im having some hell =( i think im getting things figured out though but i have a question about my amp it has a "Q" knob and the manual says "The q control selects the bandwidth of the boost around the center fq lower numbers are wider higher narrower" i dont quite get it can somone PLZ clarify it seems if the waves were longer the sound produced would be a lower Fq is this correct or is it something else?

That Q knob is basically an adjustable crossover for your boost. It adjusts the boost of frequencies around your chosen center frequency. At higher numbers less frequencies around the center (higher and lower) will be boosted and those frequencies will be played more efficiently.

As you get into lower numbers more frequencies are boosted and efficiency of power used by the amp for the center frequency drops.

In my opinion the only good use of boost that i have seen is speakerbox specific. I've seen some bandpass box's frequency curve have a drop in the center and the boost would compensate for this output loss in those frequencies.

But in most cases boost isn't good for sound quality. It causes notes around the center frequency to play considerably louder than others away from the center. It can also cause speakers to bottom out at those frequencies, considering that speakers can handle more power at higher frequencies.

OK enough of my ranting.

If you do decide to use the boost try to determine what your bass is lacking and compensate by boosting those notes.

Another option is to set it your musical liking. If you like bass kick, listen to your punchy music and set the boost to where it plays the kicks louder. If you like low rumble set it at the low end (if your subs can handle the added power without distorting) and so on and so forth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.