Dash smoke plz help

2 gauge wire should have a max fuse at 200 amp.

But yeah, without being there in person, going to be hard to say, unless a clear issue in your photos.

Use your nose to try and pinpoint the burned area, can sometimes narrow it down to a certain area by smelling around the dash to help locate the problem.

I had loose RCA cables short on a B+ wire once in my trunk, and my Alpine head unit smoked when they shorted. I knew right away what I had let happen, your case sounds little odd.

If you do smell a certain area that has a heavy burnt smell, you're going to have to look closely at any and all wiring there. If you seen smoke, more than likely something is visibly burnt. Get a flash light and look closely. Wires, connectors, etc.

2 gauge wire should have a max fuse at 200 amp.

But yeah, without being there in person, going to be hard to say, unless a clear issue in your photos.

Use your nose to try and pinpoint the burned area, can sometimes narrow it down to a certain area by smelling around the dash to help locate the problem.

I had loose RCA cables short on a B+ wire once in my trunk, and my Alpine head unit smoked when they shorted. I knew right away what I had let happen, your case sounds little odd.

If you do smell a certain area that has a heavy burnt smell, you're going to have to look closely at any and all wiring there. If you seen smoke, more than likely something is visibly burnt. Get a flash light and look closely. Wires, connectors, etc.
Thank you this helped. Like I said it smelled like my cluster guage area

What's wrong with the fire wall also I dont wanna hook anything up till i find what smoked
Always use a Rubber grommet around a hole drilled out on the fire wall before pulling any wire through. Helps protect the wiring from getting damaged or exposed as well as vibrations from the vehicle to keep from cuts and the jacket from getting cut exposing wiring to ground out to the metal The grommets are Cheap and last a very long time.But do your search and locate your burnt wiring issues to be addressed

What's wrong with the fire wall also I dont wanna hook anything up till i find what smoked
If you ran the 2 AWG through a hole in the metal (firewall), it could have had it's rubber sheath cut on a jagged edge.
It is difficult to trace burned wire since it is mostly in a loom. That is why I suggested that technique. You could also do a resistance check on that power wire. One lead on the wire, the other on the battery ground.

Last edited:
And while it may be something in the audio install causing an issue, the problem may be totally unrelated to the audio install and just freak timing.

The cluster in my 95 Town Car randomly burnt out in late 2016, smelled burnt and seen smoke, it went black (it’s a digital cluster). I had to take the cluster out and found a burnt MOV on the board, was an easy repair, but had nothing to do with my audio equipment, it just randomly died one day as I was driving. Of course it going black lead me to the cluster, yours may be a little more difficult if nothing is obviously not working. Check your cluster gauges, wipers, defrost, climate controls, all lights, and see if anything is not working.

Yours could be a real pain to figure out what happened, and or if there is a problem still.

If you ran the 2 AWG through a hole in the metal (firewall), it could have had it's rubber sheath cut on a jagged edge.
It is difficult to trace burned wire since it is mostly in a loom. That is why I suggested that technique. You could also do a resistance check on that power wire. One lead on the wire, the other on the battery ground.
The hole had a gromit and I dont think it's the power wire it looks new still(cuz its new still)

And while it may be something in the audio install causing an issue, the problem may be totally unrelated to the audio install and just freak timing.

The cluster in my 95 Town Car randomly burnt out in late 2016, smelled burnt and seen smoke, it went black (it’s a digital cluster). I had to take the cluster out and found a burnt MOV on the board, was an easy repair, but had nothing to do with my audio equipment, it just randomly died one day as I was driving. Of course it going black lead me to the cluster, yours may be a little more difficult if nothing is obviously not working. Check your cluster gauges, wipers, defrost, climate controls, all lights, and see if anything is not working.

Yours could be a real pain to figure out what happened, and or if there is a problem still.
As all of I know all the systems still work like lights defrost ect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Dylan brothers

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dylan brothers
Spokane wa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies