Plz help w 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE installation options...

Participant count
  • Participants list

allansmw520

CarAudio.com Newbie
First thank you all in advance, I’ve been out of the car stereo game for about 10 yrs and could really use some help. Lemme do my best to explain what I currently have, and what my goals are and then I’m sure you guys will be able to help fill in the blanks.

I recently bought a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, I believe it to be one of the lower original stereos as it doesn’t have the full Sony 8” screen etc. It actually sounded prettybdecent but I figured it would be easily improved.
This last week I took it into a reputable local shop and had the speakers and tweets replaced by Infinity Kappa 6.5 components in the front and back doors. While it certainly made an improvement, I could immediately tell that the stock amplifier in the trunk wasn’t going to be sufficient.
After discussing the issue further with the store owner and explaining to him my plans to install my old xtant 121m and audiobahn alum 12 (I know old school but still hit clean) and mentioned that I was going to be doing all of this without changing the stock deck, I like the way it’s set up, sync is great and it’s a clean set up that I am happy with.
At this point I was told that it wouldn’t be a problem to have the sub and amp installed using a crossover, but for some reason (which possibly some of you can can help with) I wouldn’t be able to upgrade the stock door speaker amp without causing some major hassle that I still don’t fully understand.
I’m not sure if this guy misunderstood that i had been planning on adding and audio control LC6/7 whichever makes the most sense. Assuming that I add one of these crossovers, wouldn’t replacing the stock 4ch amp be incredibly simple? Now that I have my amp and sub I’m planning to head back to the shop and make sure something wasn’t lost in translation because it sure seems like upgrading an existing amp should be incredibly simple. Any thoughts, comments, help etc would be greatly appreciated.

Just to recap what i have and what I would like...
I currently have...
2014 Fusion Hybrid SE w stock stereo
*except for the upgraded 4 6.5 kappa door components, currently significantly underpowered by the stock ford amp...
My plan was to swap it out with a better 4ch amp, likely phx gold but haven’t decided yet, while using an AC LC6/7i crossover in order to allow to maintain my stock deck, while adding the xtant 121m sub amp and audiobahn 12. For the life of me I can’t find anywhere else online or anyone I’ve spoken with in person, that this would be any sort of issue, as the LC6/7 crossover would handle the issues not handled by the stock deck. Again, I will gladly spend a couple extra bucks to avoid changing the deck, I like stock decks and that’s just the end of that story it’s not going anywhere.
That being said, what do you guys think of the advice that I’ve been given warning against swapping out the stock amp?
The more I study the issue I can’t imagine an issue created that wouldn’t be fixed by the Audio Control unit. Is this correct or am I missing something?!
Thank you in advance you have no idea how much I appreciate the third party input. As time passes it feels like either a.) something was lost in translation or b.) he honestly thought the stock amp would be enough (because if he were trying to upsell me he certainly would’ve had plenty of opportunity and never did, just advised against it.

thanx again! Can’t wait to get this done it sounds great but I know replacing the amp on top of adding the crossover sub and mono amp will take it to a whole nother level.

Steve

The company I used to work for gave me one of those to drive. Great cars! The factory Audio sounded really good but there is for sure factory equalization. The audio control module won’t deequalize the factory signal so you need something that will.

hertz h8
Jl fix86
Audison bit 10

Last edited:
The company I used to work for gave me one of those to drive. Great cars! The factory Audio sounded really good but there is for sure factory equalization. The audio control module won’t deequalize the factory signal so you need something that will.

hertz h8
Jl fix86
Audison bit 10
Thank you that’s good to know...the stock setup was very solid which is why I’m a little disappointed the upgrade didn’t make more a difference

Thank you that’s good to know...the stock setup was very solid which is why I’m a little disappointed the upgrade didn’t make more a difference
It’s because the factory amp is weak and the factory eq allows you to crank it without blowing speakers. The factory radio on those kappas is barely moving em, maybe even producing a distorted sound. Get one of those dsp and run all your aftermarket behind it.

It’s because the factory amp is weak and the factory eq allows you to crank it without blowing speakers. The factory radio on those kappas is barely moving em, maybe even producing a distorted sound. Get one of those dsp and run all your aftermarket behind it.
Right, that’s bizarre you basically read my mind..it still sounds clear and solid, for a stock system...certainly not yet hearing the $ spent..any particular specs for DSP? I notice the prices and options vary a ton. Thanks 🙏 much app

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.