plywood vs MDF for sub box?

maleko

hawaii
Im new to the whole car stereo thing, and im in the middle of doin my first system, my question is why MDF , cheaper? the reason i ask is cause i have some 1" thick solid core cabinet grade plywood laying around i want to use, will this work just fine, or will it sound different than MDF?

thanks,,

MDF is excellent for bracing since it will not compress at all, but does not have any structural integrity. This is where Plywood wins out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Similar threads

I say go for it. Just add some kind of bracing to the bigger panels. Some old home speaker boxes were made of 3/8" mdf. Maybe not even mdf, some...
Looks like these Knu reducers are free shipping, you'll need a few! NAd possibly some of these too:
Yea 28hz is the lower limit of what I shoot for because you stop hearing the sound below that and more just feel it. It also starts to tear things...
Damn, those Brickhouse subs are beefy! 4" coil and big power? Yes please!
just use riv-nuts or clip-nuts, made for blind fastening. some window weld should hold the ring on there pretty good..... being 4x6, you could...

About this thread

maleko

maleko
hawaii
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
subyman