Plexi Glass for a Subwoofer Box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tros
10+ year member

KS
Hey there, //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

I have a fairly simple question to ask any of you. If I made a subwoofer box completely out of plexiglass would it effect the coustics? And is the plexiglass even strong enough to handle the pressures that a sub can put on it? I figure it would, but if I made my own plexi glass box how thick would the plexi glass have to be?

I don't usually recommend it. It's expensive and hard to make look really good. Also, it's more flexible than MDF. But, if you do use it, it should be at least 3/4" thick. To buy a 4X8 sheet of this will probably run you a couple hundred dollars.

Yes it is very expensive and very heavy and very difficult to work with and more difficult to cut. Basically the best and only real way to go about it would be to have each panels dimensions and have them factory cut unless of course you have the equipment and talent it takes to cut plexi. Each hole has to be very carefully drilled out and even threaded for it to take effect properly then you have to go about using the clear silicon and make sure you are all set there and it is much more headache and cost than just a couple hundred bucks. I have built them before and it was more along the line of a bare minimum thousand dollars and that is being nice.

i built my entire box out of .23" Lexan which is a form of Plexiglass and i have had no trouble with it. it really isn't that hard to work with. if you have a local machine shop they can do it for you for fairly cheap. i used my dad's machine shop. my entire box materials and all cost less than 100 bucks.

Originally posted by thegunner i built my entire box out of .23" Lexan which is a form of Plexiglass and i have had no trouble with it. it really isn't that hard to work with. if you have a local machine shop they can do it for you for fairly cheap. i used my dad's machine shop. my entire box materials and all cost less than 100 bucks.
Lexan is a good bit flexible tho isn't it? I have nto worked much with it at all other than for forms and such in remote control cars. I know it is **** near indestructible, but seems to be a bit flexible than even plexi.

it is fairly flexible however the longest unbraced wall in my box is 14.5 " the sub is mounted in a 13X14.5 section my box doesn't flex visibly but im sure that it isn't flat. when the bass hits you can barely feel it if your hand is on the front of the box.

(of course you can feel it everywhere else!!!!) lol:D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by thegunner it is fairly flexible however the longest unbraced wall in my box is 14.5 " the sub is mounted in a 13X14.5 section my box doesn't flex visibly but im sure that it isn't flat. when the bass hits you can barely feel it if your hand is on the front of the box.

(of course you can feel it everywhere else!!!!) lol:D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I am sure you can feel it fairly well, but are very likely losing a LOT of SQ because of the flex of the box and even SPL. Your box is flexing and basically causing cancelations in the sub. I am surprised you are not having a good bit of issues with distortion even. It is for this reason I suggested a larger, heavier grade of plexi-glass if going to try to make a box like this at all. The ones I have built (3 total) all used a minimum of .75" plexi. This is also the reason I was going into why and how it is so expensive.

gotcha, but if you would like to hear it come out to Los Alamos some time

its not a spectacular or even comp. worthy system but it gets me around town.

if i had subs that could put out decent SPL i also would have gone with 3/4" Lexan, or at least 1/2".

Originally posted by thegunner gotcha, but if you would like to hear it come out to Los Alamos some time

its not a spectacular or even comp. worthy system but it gets me around town.

if i had subs that could put out decent SPL i also would have gone with 3/4" Lexan, or at least 1/2".
LOL sorry am too busy bumpin with my new system! LMAO (sorry have to brag I only just got this thing done)

good for you, i like to hear about and/or see people satisfied with their stuff, not that you'd be jealous of my $h!t!!! lol:laugh: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.