PLEASE HELP, $1500 into install and HISSING / WHITE NOISE!

Participant count
  • Participant list
First, I'm new here and apologize if there has been recent discussions of similar issues. I have a 2013 Taurus SEL with My Ford Touch. I purchased Rockford Fosgate 6x8 POWER speakers and t400-4 POWER amplifier all BRAND NEW. They also talked me into purchasing a JL FIX 86 DSP.

Had a stereo shop install the equipment. I came to pick up the car and there is a LOUD hissing noise on all audio levels, even with the stereo off. As soon as the amp powers up, white noise out of all speakers connected to amp. They told me it's the Amplifier and Rockford Fosgate "isn't what it used to be, the audio isn't that clean anymore". He also said that he had the same amp and had the same noise coming out of it. They suggested I buy a JL amp if I wanted CLEAN audio.

Im sick to my stomach. I spend nearly 2k on the install and I'm pretty bummed. Any input??

I bought the amp on the internet, not through the stereo shop. I'm not worried about the money I'll get it back either way. I'm just worried that there's an issue with the install and finding the problem. Where do the four RCA connectors go to?

Ok 1st of all, NO amp in the world should make any hissing noise. That installer needs to be fired just because he has the same amp it does so to him.

2nd, there is def something in the install causing it. What it is, could be a million things. But, could be wiring, or RCA issue, your alt , ground, etc.

3rd, wth did you spend 1500 bucks for 3 items?

When I installed an amp and new head unit, I got the same hissing, alternator wine out of my speakers. Pioneers are known to be bad in terms of blowing their pico fuse (which grounds the rcas) by "hot swapping" the rcas, pretty much plugging them in and out while power is going to the head unit. I installed a $15 ground loop isolator which drastically reduced the wining noise!

When I installed an amp and new head unit, I got the same hissing, alternator wine out of my speakers. Pioneers are known to be bad in terms of blowing their pico fuse (which grounds the rcas) by "hot swapping" the rcas, pretty much plugging them in and out while power is going to the head unit. I installed a $15 ground loop isolator which drastically reduced the wining noise!
So it reduced it rather than remove it?

I'd look into another HU. No audio system should have any type of noise. But, as always there may be some "bugs" that need to be worked out when putting one together.

Thanks for the reply. It was actually the mechanic and the manager who claimed that it was "normal". I purchased an amp, JL Fix 86, four 6x9s and 2 3" midrange + the install.
Yeah, I'd look into another shop if you can. That is something that isn't normal.

Anyone here with vast knowledge greater than mine can tell you that.

Rockford "Power" series amps of today are very nice. I doubt it's the amp, but if it is you should have it warrantied.

Pull your RCAs out of that amp and see if the noise persists. If the noise goes away that rules out the amp. My bet is that it's your factory head unit... most are just crap. Garbage in/garbage out. You're likely getting a noisy signal from the factory head unit. You may or may not be willing to get into an aftermarket head unit, so I don't know if there's any hope.

Do some troubleshooting to isolate the problem anyway before you go blaming anybody or throwing more money at the issue.

Ok, I unplugged the RCA's. Noise went away. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Good news is that it isn't your amp. Now plug those RCAs back into your amp and (if you can) unplug the signal from the head unit going into your DSP. (make sure they don't short and you mark which one goes where). This will rule out your DSP/line level converter.

My guess is it's the source unit. Factory head units are mostly pretty noisy but you just don't notice at the level of amplification they give you from the factory.

Yeah you got my same issue. Using the DSP as the master volume will mask it to a point.

ARC audio has a noise gate basically designed around ford HUs. It's on my list of things to try in the future.

I ordered a Zapco LOC/line driver to go before the DSP to try to clean it up

Received a call from the stereo shop this morning. They said they fixed the noise and it was an adjustment that needed to be made on the FiX86.

losisatool, you should go to the dealer and get your ACM updated. SYNC has had significant issues with white noise and and a low level static in many vehicles including the taurus with MFT and Escapes with SYNC. Check into that before proceeding any further so you don't have to change your MFT and loose a ton of features in your car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.