Pioneer Wired Remote Help !!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Helmwurst

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently replaced my DEH-P5000UB head unit in my boat. The Multi-Control dial was history... This unit was installed in dry cabin and controlled by the Pioneer CD-MR80D wired remote on side dash. My replacement head unit is a DEH-X7800BHS, has a input on the back for a wired remote, but the MD80 wired remote does not appear to be compatible for the X7800. I see on the Pioneer page, that they make the CD-ME300 wired remote, but I cannot get a straight answer from them, Pioneer, if it will work on the X7800.
Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or a shop that can test that and verify if it is or is not compatible? The X7800 came with a wireless remote, but is not a straight shot to the receiver to turn the source or volume .
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.

I recently replaced my DEH-P5000UB head unit in my boat. The Multi-Control dial was history... This unit was installed in dry cabin and controlled by the Pioneer CD-MR80D wired remote on side dash. My replacement head unit is a DEH-X7800BHS, has a input on the back for a wired remote, but the MD80 wired remote does not appear to be compatible for the X7800. I see on the Pioneer page, that they make the CD-ME300 wired remote, but I cannot get a straight answer from them, Pioneer, if it will work on the X7800.
Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or a shop that can test that and verify if it is or is not compatible? The X7800 came with a wireless remote, but is not a straight shot to the receiver to turn the source or volume .
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.
I'm leaning towards "no, it's not compatible."

Probably some reason for the confusion is that the DEHX7800MP is compatible, which is their "super tuner 3" model and completely different.

vs

According to https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Remote-Controls/CD-MR80D

It's only compatible with models ending in BT, PRS, and MP. I suspect that when they say, "For details about additional compatible units and available controls, contact your dealer or nearest Pioneer Service Center." They mean future models that replace those rather than models like the BHS which have existed long before and still after that page was written.
Capture1.png

This is what you're looking for in the specs.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards "no, it's not compatible."

Probably some reason for the confusion is that the DEHX7800MP is compatible, which is their "super tuner 3" model and completely different.

vs

According to https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Remote-Controls/CD-MR80D

It's only compatible with models ending in BT, PRS, and MP. I suspect that when they say, "For details about additional compatible units and available controls, contact your dealer or nearest Pioneer Service Center." They mean future models that replace those rather than models like the BHS which have existed long before and still after that page was written.View attachment 22361
This is what you're looking for in the specs.
Thanks for the reply and info. Friend who is a professional retailer/installer, brought up the same discussion. The older UB unit also had the IP-Bus Control where as the BHS does not. My old wired remote had a lcd display and his thoughts were that the newer head units can not work with the display remotes, but should with the non-display remotes. I found a good buy on a ME300 remote last night and ordered it. Once I get it and test it out I will post my results. If this is not a working combination, I will have a new/used head unit, and a couple remotes for sale. I will replace all with a different system that has a wired remote. I have a 2" hole in my side dash that needs to be filled. LOL.
One last comment, Pioneer customer service is friendly and tries to help, but they appear to only know what is written in the cliff notes of their script. I asked 2 different phone reps to take this back to their "work team". both said they would and I should hear back within a day or 2. That was a week ago.

Thanks for the reply and info. Friend who is a professional retailer/installer, brought up the same discussion. The older UB unit also had the IP-Bus Control where as the BHS does not. My old wired remote had a lcd display and his thoughts were that the newer head units can not work with the display remotes, but should with the non-display remotes. I found a good buy on a ME300 remote last night and ordered it. Once I get it and test it out I will post my results. If this is not a working combination, I will have a new/used head unit, and a couple remotes for sale. I will replace all with a different system that has a wired remote. I have a 2" hole in my side dash that needs to be filled. LOL.
One last comment, Pioneer customer service is friendly and tries to help, but they appear to only know what is written in the cliff notes of their script. I asked 2 different phone reps to take this back to their "work team". both said they would and I should hear back within a day or 2. That was a week ago.

All good, for what it's worth digging through what those letters mean and what differentiates their models is a exercise in futility, especially because UB is a car-oriented designation in lower numbers and as you say it used to work with that. My old car had a 4000 something UB and definitely didn't have an IP-Bus control. Pioneer really needs to consider using product model numbers that are descriptive. Good luck on compatibility, very limited information out there for that remote too.

All good, for what it's worth digging through what those letters mean and what differentiates their models is a exercise in futility, especially because UB is a car-oriented designation in lower numbers and as you say it used to work with that. My old car had a 4000 something UB and definitely didn't have an IP-Bus control. Pioneer really needs to consider using product model numbers that are descriptive. Good luck on compatibility, very limited information out there for that remote too.
UPDATE ON WIRED REMOTE COMPATIBILITY:
I received my CD-ME300 wired remote over the weekend and installed it today. Pigtailed it in first to try it out. Worked to control all functions on the remote. After puling out all the old wired remote system and installing the ME300, which took several hours because some things were not easy to get to, finally got it installed in its permanent location and hard wired in. All I have left to do tomorrow, is clean up the floor plates and re-install and tidy up the wiring.
Here is my one major ***** about this Pioneer product. No one who sells or works with Pioneer products, would check this out before I spent the money to buy the remote. Piss poor customer service from at least 6 retailers I contacted and Pioneer Customer Service call in line. I call them all out as BS and would advise others to call them out for not knowing their products and the compatibility. So for all you who are wondering if or what wired remote will work for your, RV, Boat, Semi-Truck or what have you, I would say if your head unit has a headphone style jack on the back marked WR, it will most likely be compatible to the CD-ME300 Wired Marine Remote. Good Luck and Thanks to Lasherz for his input and Justin at Waves and Wheels.

UPDATE ON WIRED REMOTE COMPATIBILITY:
I received my CD-ME300 wired remote over the weekend and installed it today. Pigtailed it in first to try it out. Worked to control all functions on the remote. After puling out all the old wired remote system and installing the ME300, which took several hours because some things were not easy to get to, finally got it installed in its permanent location and hard wired in. All I have left to do tomorrow, is clean up the floor plates and re-install and tidy up the wiring.
Here is my one major ***** about this Pioneer product. No one who sells or works with Pioneer products, would check this out before I spent the money to buy the remote. Piss poor customer service from at least 6 retailers I contacted and Pioneer Customer Service call in line. I call them all out as BS and would advise others to call them out for not knowing their products and the compatibility. So for all you who are wondering if or what wired remote will work for your, RV, Boat, Semi-Truck or what have you, I would say if your head unit has a headphone style jack on the back marked WR, it will most likely be compatible to the CD-ME300 Wired Marine Remote. Good Luck and Thanks to Lasherz for his input and Justin at Waves and Wheels.

Yeah man, that's totally unexcusable on pioneer's part. I'm glad you figured it out though. Silver lining now is that you know more about your system having done all the research, but I've had a recent experience with brands offering no help on that stuff and it's a real thorn in the side. Kudos for coming out unscathed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...