How to choose what speakers/sub/amp combination?

Participant count
  • Participant list

tomlester27

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Hello I'm new here. I want to upgrade the sound system in my van. I want to: Upgrade the head unit, upgrade the door speakers, add 2 extra speakers and i'm going to build a custom fibre glass box for a 10" sub. I'm looking to get some pretty decent quality parts, by no means the absolute best but decent. I think Hertz seem like a good brand to go with. My question is how do I figure out what combination of parts to get? what amp do I need for my sub? what speakers should I get? Is there a way to work out exactly what set up I should get? As there seems to be heaps of different options available and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks

Hello I'm new here. I want to upgrade the sound system in my van. I want to: Upgrade the head unit, upgrade the door speakers, add 2 extra speakers and i'm going to build a custom fibre glass box for a 10" sub. I'm looking to get some pretty decent quality parts, by no means the absolute best but decent. I think Hertz seem like a good brand to go with. My question is how do I figure out what combination of parts to get? what amp do I need for my sub? what speakers should I get? Is there a way to work out exactly what set up I should get? As there seems to be heaps of different options available and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks

Well, start by looking at RMS wattage numbers. They don't need to match but getting them close is a start. Don't look at Peak numbers.
What's your knowledge with ohms?
Are you planning to amplify the speakers or run them off the head unit?
There are a lot of good brands and a lot of bad brands. Depends on your budget. what are your goals here. Sound quality? Stay away from Boss, planet audio, crunch, power acoustik etc.

Well, start by looking at RMS wattage numbers. They don't need to match but getting them close is a start. Don't look at Peak numbers.
What's your knowledge with ohms?
Are you planning to amplify the speakers or run them off the head unit?
There are a lot of good brands and a lot of bad brands. Depends on your budget. what are your goals here. Sound quality? Stay away from Boss, planet audio, crunch, power acoustik etc.

To be honest I'm a audio noob. I don't know anything about all the technical stuff. I'd like good sound quality and bass with a punch. But the system is for the front of a van so I'm limited on space for the woofer. I've had under seat subs before and they just don't really cut it for me.

The hertz mille Pro range seems good and I'm willing to pay that much.

I was thinking of getting hertz millie pro 2 way component speakers, a 10'' millie pro sub (I'll have to make a fibre glass enclosure to fit in the foot well) And I'll get a Hertz Amp but have no idea which one I need to get. I also want to know how to work out how big I would need to make the enclosure.

To be honest I'm a audio noob. I don't know anything about all the technical stuff. I'd like good sound quality and bass with a punch. But the system is for the front of a van so I'm limited on space for the woofer. I've had under seat subs before and they just don't really cut it for me.

The hertz mille Pro range seems good and I'm willing to pay that much.

I was thinking of getting hertz millie pro 2 way component speakers, a 10'' millie pro sub (I'll have to make a fibre glass enclosure to fit in the foot well) And I'll get a Hertz Amp but have no idea which one I need to get. I also want to know how to work out how big I would need to make the enclosure.
are you talking about these
Hertz MPK 165.3 PRO?

They list at $550 for a set and the sub lists for about $500. .6 net cubic feet sealed is recommended. net is your internal volume after displacements.
This setup is going to have a decent price tag and i recommend doing as much research as possible before pulling the trigger.
The subwoofer is 600 watts rms and the speakers are 110 watts each. You can get a dual 2 ohm sub and wire down to 1 ohm or get a dual 4 ohm sub and wire down to 2 ohms. you could match this amp

Hertz HCP 1D
to the sub with a 2 ohm load since this specific amp is 2 ohm stable.

Can i ask what has steered you into Hertz audio? I don't have any experience with them, my understanding is they're good with sound quality, but cost a premium for what they are. Maybe someone who knows the brand better can help, I'm just trying to help you through ohms and wattage.
Crutchfield is a good resource to learn the basics.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-y9W2GkkHpLI/learn/wiring-subwoofers-ohms.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...