perfects in a trunk good/bad? or go with type R?

Quiksilver
10+ year member

NJ
I was thinking of adding 2 12" subs to my setup and was considering bot the infinty perfect, and Alpine Type R. Ive heard the Infinity is better for SQ, but I also heard that if a perfect is in a trunk, its pointless because you will not hear its amazing quality through a back seat. So will the type R be a better SQ sub to put in a sealed box into a trunk?? and would a JBL BP1200 be too much for 2 12 dvc's?

Both subs achieve excellent SQ and SPL when equipped with the right box and they are in the right environment....I know you cant hear subs very good in BMW M3's because of the back seat....but they have some kind of thing out for that now, what car are you putting the subs in anyways? You should be able to hear the perfects if they were in a sealed box facing the seats, even if they faced out, you still should be able to hear them....the Alpine Type R's are great subs to though. Ever look at MTX's 8000 series? They are worth looking at also, and so are some RF's if you want....but if was you, I would probably look into getting the Perfects....they are such a nice sub, and I think you still should be able to hear them in your car through the trunk.

i have ONE alpine 12 inch type r in my trunk...

had it facing backwards with the seat up...and i drive a prelude so the seat isnt all too thick...BUT

the bass hit freakin hard as hell...my hair vibrates in my car when i turn the volume upto 3/4 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

now i have it facing forward with the seat down...the bass doesnt go as low...but hits twice as hard...

not only does my hair vibrate...my glasses tend to slip from the vibration of the sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I would recommend the perfect myself to anyone. I run 2 12 myself in a sealed box. They are in my trunk and I can still enjoy a good SQ level. I guess it would just depend on ur setup. And no a 1200.1 JBL would'nt be too much. Remember if you go DVC it has to be dual 2ohm voice coil in a series paralell conection to get 2 ohm reading in a class D mono amplifier....Enjoy

The subs would be going in a Chrysler Concorde, so the trunk is fairly large, and the seats are pretty thick...... I just really need to know if its worth the money to get perfects, or to get the type R's.... I also considered RF HX2's but I have heard they are not a very good SQ sub....

????

thanks for the input so far anyway

I talked to a local install shop on power HX2 subwoofers. They said that they are "quiet" if you put them in a small sealed box, but they pound hard as hell in a large (like 3 cubic feet) enclosure.

I also talked to a tech support buy about the power hx2s and he said they will deliver excellent sound quality in a small sealed box, but require TONS of power to do it, we're talking 1200-1500 watts RMS. That seems really inefficient to me. You'll probably get better SQ and SPL with either the infinity perfect of the type R. It is a _really_ difficult choice between the two. Hell, just eenie meenie miney moe on the two subs and pick whatever one you're pointing at.

Well, the perfect series uses an aluminum woofer cone.

The type R 1241 and 1241D uses a pulp cone.

lighter cones tend to have better transient response, but the stiffer aluminum cone won't distort much under high power conditions.

The perfect 12 will most likely cost more money and is probably a higher quality constructed woofer and handles slightly more power.

The type Rs performance probably won't be too much different, and not noticable unless you really sit down and listen to them carefully.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.