Parallel/Bridge Mono with multiple amplifiers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Flamin_D_Audio
10+ year member

Kent
After buying a few of the Crown Macro-tech amps, i started to look into the idea of Parallel Mono to obtain large power with two channels/separate amplifiers. Using a mono signal split into two identical signals with a Y-splitter, i thought - why not use two identical mono amplifiers on the same load in parallel? Using a jump wire on the two positive terminals and only using one amps ground (like the macro-techs).

I understand that unlike bridge-mono, differences in the two outputs are very sensitive, and they will try to drive each other even with the slightest difference. How do crown regulate both channels so that they are completely identical? I tried this method with a technics integrated amp, and after a minute of 50hz sine it fell into protection. (Still pretty impressed with that though, the channels read 0.1v different on the meter)

I have an Audiobahn APS10 which is a phase inverter/controller, which i have used in the past to create bridge-mono on integrated amps without a bridge function, with good results. If i can get to grips with creating a stable parallel mono, i can create huge power potential by using four identical lower-powered amps - bridge-mono them in pairs, then parallel-mono the two pairs, taking advantage of both modes strengths.

Obviously for this to work the amps would have to be perfectly balanced and especially with cheaper mono amps they can all be slightly different from each other. Anyone got any thoughts or advice? Apart from go buy a high power amplifier lol, this is purely experimental //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.