Overheating amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jvanness7

First of all Do not reply if you don't have an actual answer for me... I'm running a 2100 watt single channel 2 ohm stable gravity amp. I was running one Rockford fosgate p2 15 wired to two ohms and the amp ran it great, i put in the other 15 wired it at two ohms and then put both wires into the single channel of my amp.. I should still be at 2 ohms for the whole system even if they are put into the single channel right? My amp is getting really hot and will cut out after too long of playing... my amp is not turned up all the way, barely even halfway up... and my wires are not getting hot... I have 4 gauge wired for my ground and power.. these subs are 350 watts rms at 4 ohms so I should have more than enough power to run them.. my ground wire is bolted to the seat and very secure... please help thank you!

First of all Do not reply if you don't have an actual answer for me... I'm running a 2100 watt single channel 2 ohm stable gravity amp. I was running one Rockford fosgate p2 15 wired to two ohms and the amp ran it great, i put in the other 15 wired it at two ohms and then put both wires into the single channel of my amp.. I should still be at 2 ohms for the whole system even if they are put into the single channel right? My amp is getting really hot and will cut out after too long of playing... my amp is not turned up all the way, barely even halfway up... and my wires are not getting hot... I have 4 gauge wired for my ground and power.. these subs are 350 watts rms at 4 ohms so I should have more than enough power to run them.. my ground wire is bolted to the seat and very secure... please help thank you!
You said it is a single channel amp... think about that for a minute... if you put two 2 ohm speakers on that single channel amp paralleled it'll be 1 ohm nominal... as is it's no wonder it is overheating if it is a 2 ohm stable design... your options are series/parallel to 4 ohms and live with less power than you expect or get a 1 ohm stable designed amp, or go back to 1 sub at 2 ohms...

Thanks for your help, so if I used a resistance calculator online, if I wired one sub in series I'd get 8.5 ohms, if I had both of my subs wired at 8.5 ohms then wired those two in parallel it says I'd get 2.125 ohms. Am I over complicating this or is this correct? If I'm at 2.125 ohms that's close enough to run full power on my amp right?

Thanks for your help, so if I used a resistance calculator online, if I wired one sub in series I'd get 8.5 ohms, if I had both of my subs wired at 8.5 ohms then wired those two in parallel it says I'd get 2.125 ohms. Am I over complicating this or is this correct? If I'm at 2.125 ohms that's close enough to run full power on my amp right?
NO... if you series the 4 ohm subs to 8 ohms then parallel the pair you'll get 4 ohms nominal and look up your amps claims to see what power it says you should get at 4 ohms... I'm not going there debating whether your amp does what it claims... read some reviews for that... your current setup cannot get to 2 ohms as is...

I'll add this... if this is the amp in question I would suspect it is highly overrated power wise... IDK for sure but they suspiciously do not illustrate the power inputs... that means nothing of course, but I'd wonder how much power you are actually getting...

GR-2100.1

simply put (as shredder has said) 2- d4 subs (or 2ohm svc) can only be wired to 4 or 1 ohm.. so with 1 u at 2 ohm or 8 ohm, so u either have to run 1 sub or get different 1 ohm stable amp or 2 d2 subs but as he said idk how much power u will get outta that amp.. look at my ppi p1k $169 tested at 1162rms @1ohm or cab 1600 $199 like shredders

That Gravity amp indicates 2100 max power watts. Your lucky to get 1k clean out of that amp. You wanna look at rms, not max or peak power.....they mean nothing.

Now as for your subs, need to know what dvc they are to determine if they can match up to your amp or not. If they're dvc 4 ohm, that's not gonna work. If they're dvc 2 ohm, that'll be better.

Here I'm providing a sub wiring chart for ya... JL Audio » header » Support » Tutorials » Tutorial: Wiring Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Subwoofer Drivers

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.