Overdriving RF shallow mount 10's - need clarification

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm not a 100% noob to car audio, but it's certainly not my primary hobby. Anyway, I have a bit of a problem on my hands.

Long story short, I have two RF shallow mount 10's (dual 4 ohm) rated at 300w. I have a RF P500-2 amp that puts out 366w x 2 @ 2 ohms. I bought the subs before the amps and RF seems to underrate their amps, putting me in this position.

I also have a RF shallow mount 12" (dual 2 ohm) rated at 400w. Like I said, long story.

I want two subs regardless (for asthetic purposes more than anything), but should I overdrive the 10's or just buy another 12" and be "safe"? My line of thinking is that if I adjust the gain properly, I won't have a problem with the two 10's, but I want to get the most out of them as well.

Or perhaps I'm not understanding amplifer operation properly.

Thanks for your help.

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm not a 100% noob to car audio, but it's certainly not my primary hobby. Anyway, I have a bit of a problem on my hands.
Long story short, I have two RF shallow mount 10's (dual 4 ohm) rated at 300w. I have a RF P500-2 amp that puts out 366w x 2 @ 2 ohms. I bought the subs before the amps and RF seems to underrate their amps, putting me in this position.

I also have a RF shallow mount 12" (dual 2 ohm) rated at 400w. Like I said, long story.

I want two subs regardless (for asthetic purposes more than anything), but should I overdrive the 10's or just buy another 12" and be "safe"? My line of thinking is that if I adjust the gain properly, I won't have a problem with the two 10's, but I want to get the most out of them as well.

Or perhaps I'm not understanding amplifer operation properly.

Thanks for your help.
Or get another 12" to match. Thread over.

Use the 10s. I always buy an amplifier that is rated higher than my speaker's RMS because you can always turn the gain down, whereas if the amp is rated too low, you can end up clipping the output to get enough power which sounds just lovely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.