Orion or MTX for 15" XXX

Zylo
10+ year member

I need an amp for my baby.. 15" XXX. It will be going in the recommended 2cu ft Sealed box for SQ.

I was screwing around with the thought of getting Arc, Zapco, etc. But I really don't need to buy the BEST in the world.. besides, the Zap's and Arc's are power hungry. Looking for a good efficient amp that will take a beating w/o straining my electrical system like a Class A amp.

Power handling (mechanical) should be identical to thermal in a 2cu ft box, right? Or will it be less than 1600W?

I'm looking for a minimum of 1200W to power it. I was gonna get a 2500D and just keep the gain real low, but didn't really think about the fact that amps are less efficient at lower output levels.. This leaves the 1200D.

Other options I will consider are Power Acoustik, Rockford Fosgate, and Diamond Audio.

XXX1.jpg

I have a RF20001bd pushing my 12" H2, and I love it. The birth sheet shows 2263@1ohm. I'm running it @ 2 ohms, and it performs very well. Also stays very cool, even in my hot trunk.

That doesn't help someone looking for 1200-1500 at 1 or 4 ohm, now does it? =p It still sounds like a sweet amp, though.

There is a Crossfire VR 2000D in the classfieds, as well as a PG Tantrum 1200.1 that benched at almost 1500 at 4 ohm. That PG would be my sugguestion. Your XXX getting it's rated power, having the increased motor strength from being wired in series, and the higher damping factor from being 4 ohms = teh sexay goodness!

That doesn't help someone looking for 1200-1500 at 1 or 4 ohm, now does it? =p It still sounds like a sweet amp, though.
There is a Crossfire VR 2000D in the classfieds, as well as a PG Tantrum 1200.1 that benched at almost 1500 at 4 ohm. That PG would be my sugguestion.
x2 It would push you xxx nicely

i used an orion 1200d on mine ina 34Hz SQL box (about 6cubs after displacment).....it made the sub wang but i could tell it could handle more and i ended up trading my orion for a modded mtx 1501d......due to the fact the dustcap started to come off i sent it back to RE (which they fixed and are sending back to me no cost for the recone or shipping back)...and when it gets back this thursday i'll know if i made a good decision or not by that weekend....

the sub is so well at makeing little distortion that i had my 1200d clipping like crazy and i didnt hear the clipping....with that amp it WILL sound good but the sub will want more.......it's a power hungry son of a female dog.....

from what i know the smaller the box the more power you can feed it so I could imagine you would be able to feed it slightly more power than rated with a small sealed box, and slightly less than rated with a larger ported box.

I'm selling my Planet Audio tt-2250. I used it on my 15" XXX

Hey! I was thinking about getting an XXX 12 for my tt2250 also! Did you like it? Was it enough power? Why are you selling everything? That really makes me nervous. .. :0(

4^3 @ 35Hz / 142.1db @ 47Hz

You only hit 142.1 with a 15? Kinda depressing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.