Orion monoblock

I can happily say I’ve never owned any Sundown products.
Same here. Although, I don't look negatively on the SD amp in question. It was just outclassed by a underrated Orion.

But, I do think there are several people (not you Los) who owe Dereck apologizes for questioning his methods and results.

I do think there are several people (not you Los) who owe Dereck apologizes for questioning his methods and results.
You can just tell BigD is a humble dude, not sure why anyone would have made this about him in the slightest. If you listen to the first video as a comparison, you can hear it in his voice for this video how much this whole drama weighed heavily on him, I felt bad for him.
It's sad to see all the hate for Sundown as well, I don't think Jacob is shady in any way. I believe he set his criteria for this product line and the supplier is simply letting him down somehow, unbeknownst to him until now, but he spoke based on the confidence he's had in that supplier. I'm sure he will get it ironed out but if I were him I would take notice of how quickly the crowd will turn on you all in the name of watts. Pretty uncalled for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can happily say I’ve never owned any Sundown products.
Nor I. I've always viewed them as a high powered version of JL. High quality of course but paying way to much for what you get. if you buy a 3k from SD over the DC 3.5, Crescendo 3.5 or Skar 3.5 you're throwing money away. The Orion numbers are impressive but I haven't viewed them as a 'want it' brand since their 2500s from like 15 years ago.

Wasn’t SA the most expensive amp in that round-up?
The DC 3.5k was the most expensive at $1,000 but BigD said he's seen them for $900. The Sundown was second at $880. Crescendo was third at $850 and the Skar and Orion were both right around $650.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Wasn’t SA the most expensive amp in that round-up?
The DC 3.5k was the most expensive at $1,000 but BigD said he's seen them for $900. The Sundown was second at $880. Crescendo was third at $850 and the Skar and Orion were both right around $650.

So there was really nothing wrong with SD's pricing, or 3K pricing, if that's what the market would bear up until that point. Orion just seemingly busted that market hold and the adjustment is upsetting a few people.

Nothing changed If anything it made things worse. Always thought these amps did rated power at 12.6v. Over the years ive owned several sundown products without any problems. The SAZ series amps we're great and underrated, Sundown needs to really look into this. Paying 800 dollars for an amp that barely breaks 3k at 14.4v is ridiculous.
I won't buy Sundown amps....just too spendy when cheaper Korean boards in other amps outperform rated power and "bonus" watts from other brands. I think Jake needs to dyno some amps, if he claims they do rated and then some, what then has happened over the course of the yrs if his statement is true?

I won't buy Sundown amps....just too spendy when cheaper Korean boards in other amps outperform rated power and "bonus" watts from other brands. I think Jake needs to dyno some amps, if he claims they do rated and then some, what then has happened over the course of the yrs if his statement is true?
Much cheaper korean boards out now. I owned most of the SAZ series of amps 6-7 years ago and i know they were underrated a lot. I believe the SAZ 3500d was clamping almost 4500 watts and pretty much the same price as the SCV3000 is now. But once this SCV line came out 2-3 years ago and i seen the prices especially the 3k amp i went a different direction. They make great drivers but over the years their amp prices have gone up way too much for me.

and yes i can see this hurting amp sales. YouTube is a powerful tool

BigD made a good point in the comments. Jacob stated they have a dyno at the shop now and would do some testing after he said they will do over rated. It's been 2 weeks and nothing from Sundown from their own testing.

I'm not knocking Sundown or speaking negatively. I just didn't like them questioning BigD's testing. I will still recommend their subs and other products because of their customer service and quality.

After all the dust has settled there will still be some questions about the durability of the new Orion HCCA DSPLX series. Just read some stuff posted on FB by a alleged tech who says the components of the Orion's are suspect over the long-term. He went into some detail explaining his concerns and didn't come off as a SD fanboy with a bruised ego.

We may be entering into a period where new models come out every 8-10 weeks as the SPL Power Wars heat up. You can credit Youtube and Amp Dynos for it. However, even Dereck will say that the dyno doesn't tell the whole story.

As a SQ-oriented enthusiast it is pretty fun to watch the emotional reactions of guys who are obsessed with a Term Lab number.

So there was really nothing wrong with SD's pricing, or 3K pricing, if that's what the market would bear up until that point. Orion just seemingly busted that market hold and the adjustment is upsetting a few people.
this is more about youre post #70 and where you referenced it later, but i think the nail in the coffin for the SA amp would be derek sending these to ryan and having him run the same tests. derek has clearly shown the serial numbers of both amps, while i know that the bottom place can be swapped by some seriously shady mofos (which neither of them are), i think that this would make the SA people really stand at attention to the issue we all are aware of here. Jacob might listen for real if it was duplicated on anyother dyno run

this is more about youre post #70 and where you referenced it later, but i think the nail in the coffin for the SA amp would be derek sending these to ryan and having him run the same tests. derek has clearly shown the serial numbers of both amps, while i know that the bottom place can be swapped by some seriously shady mofos (which neither of them are), i think that this would make the SA people really stand at attention to the issue we all are aware of here. Jacob might listen for real if it was duplicated on anyother dyno run
Sundown not only has been over charging for their 3k they have been doing so knowing it's numbers were sketchy (at best). As a long time customer, I will never own another Sundown product again. Truth and Integrity matters!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...