5 channel vs 4 channel + sub amp?

RBass22

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and haven't done much with car audio since 2008'ish. I'm planning a very simple system for a '98 F-150 extended cab. Going to be running a Kenwood or Pioneer head unit with 3 sets of 4v pre-outs, 2 sets of 6x8's (Kenwood) or 6.5's (JBL) in front & rear doors (around 80w RMS), and 2 JBL 12's in ported enclosure (rated at 250 RMS each...4 ohm SVC). I bought a Kenwood KAC-511 class D amp for the subs (500w @ 2ohms) and was planning to get a cheap 4-channel for mids/highs, but I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just get a 5 channel Planet Audio AC1800.5 instead? I'm definitely open to other amp suggestions, but trying to keep total budget for amp(s) at $200 or less for a 5 channel or $100 for a 4-channel (since I already have $100 into the Kenwood) . I know that's a tiny budget, but this is just an old truck that I hardly drive.

Thanks!

A truck you hardly drive, I’d leave the OEM stereo / speakers in and not even mess with it. Otherwise just get the cheapest stuff you can and it will work good enough. Just remember you get what you pay for and ratings may not be 100% accurate.

I’m sure the Planet Audio amp will work if you don’t abuse it or drive it into heavy clipping, but expect it to not put out its rated power. I’d rather use that Kenwood sub amp you have and just get another legit name brand 4 channel to power your door speakers. A 5 channel at $150 is likely to disappoint.

Last I saw, Planet Audio might make about half rated power. I do not approve of encouraging this kind of dishonest marketing by buying from companies who pull that ****, but the product should function so long as you understand what to really expect.

I don't think there's a 5 or 6 channel <400$ price point that I'd really feel comfortable recommending, so if you're trying to keep inexpensive you will probably do better just dealing with the added space and clutter of mix and matching.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and haven't done much with car audio since 2008'ish. I'm planning a very simple system for a '98 F-150 extended cab. Going to be running a Kenwood or Pioneer head unit with 3 sets of 4v pre-outs, 2 sets of 6x8's (Kenwood) or 6.5's (JBL) in front & rear doors (around 80w RMS), and 2 JBL 12's in ported enclosure (rated at 250 RMS each...4 ohm SVC). I bought a Kenwood KAC-511 class D amp for the subs (500w @ 2ohms) and was planning to get a cheap 4-channel for mids/highs, but I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just get a 5 channel Planet Audio AC1800.5 instead? I'm definitely open to other amp suggestions, but trying to keep total budget for amp(s) at $200 or less for a 5 channel or $100 for a 4-channel (since I already have $100 into the Kenwood) . I know that's a tiny budget, but this is just an old truck that I hardly drive.

Thanks!
Am I missing something here. You want to run 2 sets of 6x8s (4 speakers total here, right) and you want to run 2 12" subs (2 more speakers, right). In my mind you will need either a 6-channel amp or a 4-channel amp plus a 2-channel amp, right? ?What am I missing?

Am I missing something here. You want to run 2 sets of 6x8s (4 speakers total here, right) and you want to run 2 12" subs (2 more speakers, right). In my mind you will need either a 6-channel amp or a 4-channel amp plus a 2-channel amp, right? ?What am I missing?

Your missing that subs are generally mono, and only need a single channel, so you do not need 6 channels. Four 6x8’s on the four channels, yes you have that right. However, the two 12’s would be on the sub channel parallel @ 2-ohm. Sub bass = mono signal from the head unit and or signal is mixed within the amp so as long as the subs are the correct impedance for the amp, it’s a mono single channel setup, you do not need two separate channels for the subwoofers.

Your missing that subs are generally mono, and only need a single channel, so you do not need 6 channels. Four 6x8’s on the four channels, yes you have that right. However, the two 12’s would be on the sub channel parallel @ 2-ohm. Sub bass = mono signal from the head unit and or signal is mixed within the amp so as long as the subs are the correct impedance for the amp, it’s a mono single channel setup, you do not need two separate channels for the subwoofers.
I understand, now. Thanks.

Stick with reputable brands that have been around for a while, Kicker, Kenwood, Pioneer, Soundstream, PPI, Rockford and you cannot go wrong with them, They will be more tolerant and longer lasting to your needs. Secondly, the idea of a 5 channel amp is also good, as it takes out the guess work of power ratings. The amp manufacturer has already done the homework for you so if you end up going 5 channel, with proper amp gain settings, the front , rear and subwoofer should blend in nicely to your speakers.

Thanks!
I would run the Kenwood you have on subs and pick up a fairly decent 4 ch amp for the rest of the speakers. Thats what i myself would do
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9UK4ZL/?tag=caraudiocom-20
Or one of these would be my top two picks for the budget. Tight Budget Id prob pick up an Orion, Cerwin Vega or Taramps
https://soundqubed.com/product/s4-100-multiple-channel-amplifier/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...