Orion monoblock

I love my XTR amp so I’m Not shocked by the Orion numbers even though I don’t care about the danamic numbers they are a bit underrated for sure. Owned several sundown amps and never disappointed but I don’t know much about the scv line. Considering the amount you pay for the amp I’d expect Orion numbers from it. I always thought the scv line rated at 12 volts?

I tend to think there is an issue with that scv3k. The orion spanked its *** fair and square... but thats the lowest dyno ive seen on one and I see people get 3k no problem around 12v from 0.25 and 0.35 nominal rising at or around 1

Taramps 8k has done that power for years for cheaper

Your math is terrible..... 1 penny per watt would 64,999 Watts for $649.99 This amp is 7.3 cents per watt... If your counting Dynamic power... As far as Cost Per Watt..... This is a pretty good value (But not market altering TBH).
my sincerest apologies, moved the decimal point over 1 position. but around 13 cents a watt dynamic or not is pretty insane and 7.3 cents per watt is not too bad at all

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like the Sundown did poorly. But, when compared directly against that obviously waaay underrated Orion amp, it comes off looking bad. I'd bet this isn't the last time we see these two amps dyno'd. Dereck's video has caused a lot of uproar and I suspect there's a "Round II" coming sometime in the near future.

Ryan, you might even want to offer to do a second confirmation test. Maybe even with two different amps of the same models?
Sundown didnt do poorly??? wtf bro, thats saying its ok to make rated at 14.6V.. no fkn way. that amp was faulty, or the gain was set low.

Jacob responded on Facebook and stated the amp must be faulty. BigD and I talked and he was told by amp lab the SCV3k is a modified board from the SAZ2500... So I tend to believe the numbers BigD got were accurate.
he replied to my post on cca..

"Our own shared Dyno test from 2014 was already a third party test.

I will do one on our own Dyno as well and share it as we have our own now (we did not at the time of the amps release).

Either the test was done wrong (either accidental or on purpose) or the amp tested is messed up -- the SCV amps do NOT require over 14v to meet rated, period. It's a simple fact and the product has been available for 4-years now -- there is no conspiracy or inflated figures or it certainly wouldn't have taken four years for someone to "uncover" it."

We will see as the gain will be set properly, with a fully functioning amp as he stated here:

SCV 3000D dyno by BigDwiz - Car Audio Classifieds!

Sundown didnt do poorly??? wtf bro, thats saying its ok to make rated at 14.6V.. no fkn way. that amp was faulty, or the gain was set low.
If gain was set too low the Distortion light would never come on. The end of the sine wave in that model doesn't cause the amp to clip, it's the gain overlap. I think BigD said he sets it to around -7 or -8, I usually set at 7... unless I need to baby it like a Brazilian

All I know is it takes 10 minutes to hook up amp to a dyno, set it and test it... Video came out last Sunday... Still no proof from Sundown showing his amp is a mistake.

If gain was set too low the Distortion light would never come on. The end of the sine wave in that model doesn't cause the amp to clip, it's the gain overlap. I think BigD said he sets it to around -7 or -8, I usually set at 7... unless I need to baby it like a Brazilian
so you really think that the scv 3k requires 14 v to make rated? you know your amps, ive seen all your vids. You really think that from a Sundown?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...