ORION HCCA and Boston z5 Components

Appreciat it Prince, showing a new member some feedback, i was like dang 50+ views no comments.

Trying to find out if anyone knew how both compared as far as deeper cleaner midbass, or crisp highs.

Which would you rather use in a SQ Build?

I'm a big Boston acoustics fan and I'm also an SQ guy so I'm gonna say I'd grab the BAs. I was actually looking for a set of the Z's for a while a little while back.

BA has never let me down.

its been a long time since i have heard those orions. with that being said, those bostons are amazing. i know some people say the tweeters are too bright but i actually love them. im guessing you may need to listen to both sets in the vehicle you are installing them to see which you like best. if that is not an option then i would say go for the bostons. its hard for me to imagine someone not falling in love with that set. if you dont mind me asking, what are you planning on powering them with?

Have not decided yet,

option 1 : Autotek mean machine (pre maxx sonics) 800.4 getting about 125 rms

option 2 : Fultron (pre memphis) 75x4 @ 4ohms, 150x4 @ 2ohms

thought about getting a gt-42 but i currently have a gt-28 that wasnt too impressed with guts....... Idk,

any suggestions?

Also since you really admire the z5's how do they (if at all) compare to the pro60se set?

Appreciate it ms150

If you were able to hear both sets of speakers on a soundboard I think you'd find the HCCAs will walk all over the Z's. Aside from their impedance, those are the same speakers as the a/d/s/ 345is as both companies were under the DEI umbrella at the time.

I own the a/d/s/ components and actually demo'd them on a soundboard next to several high dollar components (Focal, Boston, etc) and the difference between those and the Z's was staggering. And the dirty little secret about those Z's? They sound identical to the Pros...if you EQ 1 frequency out of the mid of the pros. I have a pretty darn good ear and I remember having to really concentrate to hear a difference. How good is my ear? I can hear the difference between a store-bought CD and the same CD burned on a PC. Went 10-for-10 and got a dollar menu lunch for it (guy who bet me was cheap).

So ya, if I were in your shoes I'd snag the HCCAs.

^^ I wish my ears were as good as yours, brah. Too many Deep Purple concerts took a toll //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I've never heard Orions, but I've been around long enough to have listened to Z's in the sound board at Tweeters Etc when they were new (and retailing for $1000). Ungodly bright and clear, and man they got loud.

Well I currently Own the HCCA's as well as the Z's just trying to decide what setup to keep,

These are the components im working with as of NOW:

alpine HU older model,

2 autotek amps (Pre-Maxxsonic BO)

-4ch mean machine doing 150 rms @ 2 ohms / 125 @ 3 ohm

-1ch sx 1200x doing 700 @ 4 ohms

1 set HCCA 5s(a/d/s) , 1 BA Z5, 1 BA Prose

and Older HCCA 12d (TC SOUNDS)

and again i might just keep both unless a good offer is made on either one

View attachment 26534993

View attachment 26534992

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.