Orion H2 questions/concerns (bought for $50 @ pawn shop)

Participant count
  • Participant list

corbetjackson50
10+ year member

I couldnt pass it up $50 for the H2. It was in a box with a no name sub for $100 and i told them i just wanted the orion he sold the whole thing for $50.

I had them hook it up and it did work. however it was probably only 200-400w they put through it.

Now my concern is there is a small 1/2" hole in the dust cap. Should I do anything with it before i throw 1200w rms to it? there were a couple dings in the cone but nothing major. I am anxious to hook this thing up. I hope my $50 was well spent

Well it's called a "dust cap" for a reason, if anything gets down by the coil it will destroy it. I believe it's possible to just replace a dustcap on a woofer but you'll have to talk to one of the woofer guys for that.

I don't see why you couldn't just seal it with something now as a temp fix though.

I cracked a dust cap by accident once and thew some gorilla tape on it. Sub is still going strong to this day. Id definitely cover it up so no dust or anything gets in there. Like the other poster said it will destroy the speaker.

You want to try and add as little mass as possible so really heavy tape is probably not the BEST option only because changing the mass of the cone changes the woofer's response characteristics....could be a negligible amount though

a new dustcap would be prefferable... if its only a 1/2" hole, a piece of strong tape wont add too much mass... the thing that would concern me the most, is how long the hole has been there. you can fix it, but that doesnt mean that there isnt something that hasnt already got in there, and will start rubbing the coil

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.