2 ohm sub reads 1.8 ohms

What you are experiencing is the difference between a speaker's published/nominal impedance, and its actual impedance. Subs are published as 1ohm, 2ohm, 4ohm, 8ohm, etc to simplify the specs for the average consumer. But the actual impedance of a speaker is rarely exactly a whole number. This is because the impedance of a speaker is determined by its voice coil (the size/type/length of the wire in the coil, and the mat'l type used to make that coil). The manufacturer builds the coil to meet certain specs they want to achieve (like coil height, winding width, number of layers, flat wound or not, etc). In other words, if they want a 8-layer coil that is 2" tall with a certain gap distance, they are going to wind the coil to meet those specs. They will not turn it into a 9-layer coil, or change the whole geometry of the motor to make the coil 2.1" tall, jsut to hit some nominal whole number when measuring actual coil resistance (impedance). Thus if the manufacturer builds the coil to meet all their specs, and the result is a 1.8ohm resistance, they will simply publish it as a "2ohm coil".

What you are experiencing is the difference between a speaker's published/nominal impedance, and its actual impedance. Subs are published as 1ohm, 2ohm, 4ohm, 8ohm, etc to simplify the specs for the average consumer. But the actual impedance of a speaker is rarely exactly a whole number. This is because the impedance of a speaker is determined by its voice coil (the size/type/length of the wire in the coil, and the mat'l type used to make that coil). The manufacturer builds the coil to meet certain specs they want to achieve (like coil height, winding width, number of layers, flat wound or not, etc). In other words, if they want a 8-layer coil that is 2" tall with a certain gap distance, they are going to wind the coil to meet those specs. They will not turn it into a 9-layer coil, or change the whole geometry of the motor to make the coil 2.1" tall, jsut to hit some nominal whole number when measuring actual coil resistance (impedance). Thus if the manufacturer builds the coil to meet all their specs, and the result is a 1.8ohm resistance, they will simply publish it as a "2ohm coil".

Just a nitpick... He is not measuring impedance with a meter he is reading the dc resistance of the wire in the coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.