Options for 5.25 or 6.5 components $100-150

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mac11
10+ year member

MacGyver
Will be replacing all stock components in a Nissan Xterra. Have added nothing yet. Have not purchased a bit of car audio in at least 5 years.

Will be putting feeding them from a Pioneer AVH-P3300 head unit. ~20w RMS to start.

Have an older Clarion 4 channel amp coming shortly there after, will have ~50w RMS to throw at them then.

Have seen someone with a set of used Memphis MC-15-MSQ6 for sale on this forum or see things like:

MB Quart PVL216

MB Quart PVL216 Component Systems at Onlinecarstereo.com

and

Morel Maximo

http://www.amazon.com/Morel-Maximo-inch-component-system/dp/B0035FZJEO

in my price range.

What else is there? What is my best option in my budget?

thanks

Mac

Pioneer TS D1720c well known for being great budget comps and I've actually had some, shoot still have em. For the price, nothing else I've heard can beat em. I've heard good things about the morels as well, but from what those people have told me, those Morels will need alot of power to really get going.

yea, i saw your thread on your new front stage but didnt get off the front stage. Did you decide to use those Pioneers?
I never took em out. They've been in my car for about 2 years now. For my new front stage, I dont think I'll be using them. May use the mid for rear fill though, idk yet still trying to sort out my new front stage. What I can tell you about them though is that being that I've had them for 2 years and I'm pretty picky about my sound I can tell you the best and worst things about them.(this is true of basically all sets though) But can also tell you that I had a set of memphis msync6 in there that I just found unbearable and took them out. Same with some infinity reference speakers. However, even with my pickiness, if thats a word lol, I still do not find the Pioneer set's flaws to be unbearable.

I will say for the money the morels can't be beat, but i am going to try the image dynamics ctx 6.5cs next for $150 and see how much better they are than my morels.

I will say for the money the morels can't be beat, but i am going to try the image dynamics ctx 6.5cs next for $150 and see how much better they are than my morels.
or see how much better these pioneers are than your morels //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I am giving my morels 125 w rms per side, but they could really run good on less. Xmakeafistx had the pioneers and switched to the morels and said that they are better in all aspects exept sensitivity. They take more power than the pioneers to get loud. The image dynamics are in your budget also and should be even better than the morels though. Some people say that the morels can be harsh on the tweets, but I wonder if they are mounting them on axis as they are made to be off axis.

In the end op, it probably just comes to personal preference. But I feel its fair to tell you that if you have a sensitive ear like me and are very picky, the pioneers will require some eq work around the xover point. I.e cutting 2.5k by atleast 2db maybe 4db to get a flat response. Idk about the morels as I dont own them but maybe cavi could tell u if they have any flaw

I am giving my morels 125 w rms per side, but they could really run good on less. Xmakeafistx had the pioneers and switched to the morels and said that they are better in all aspects exept sensitivity. They take more power than the pioneers to get loud. The image dynamics are in your budget also and should be even better than the morels though. Some people say that the morels can be harsh on the tweets, but I wonder if they are mounting them on axis as they are made to be off axis.
well the amp i ma going to have to run them is ~50-60w/channel. would that be enough for them? or can i bi-amp them as its a 4-channel amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.