Opinions on JL Audio JX1000.1D or Soundstream RUB1.1000D for Single Alpine SWR-10D4

Participant count
  • Participant list

LowboyzInc

I have bought a new Alpine SWR-10D4 for my car and would like some opinions on amplifier options. I am looking for something with enough power and decent sound quality. My budget is around 250 or less for the Amp. I am running a sealed box and looking for low and tight bass. I would like to know if anyone has bench marked these amps and to hear any hands on opinions. I am open to any amplifier suggestions though. I would like something that can produce 900w rms +-100w without reaching 1% distortion. Any Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will never hear 1% in a sub stage. I would take the JL over the SS but I'm sure you can find something better for less. If its not a XD, Slash, or HD you are just buying a name.

I have bought a new Alpine SWR-10D4 for my car and would like some opinions on amplifier options. I am looking for something with enough power and decent sound quality. My budget is around 250 or less for the Amp. I am running a sealed box and looking for low and tight bass. I would like to know if anyone has bench marked these amps and to hear any hands on opinions. I am open to any amplifier suggestions though. I would like something that can produce 900w rms +-100w without reaching 1% distortion. Any Suggestions?

The issue for most amplifiers is that they normally operate with extremely low distortion, but up to a point. After some point distortion explodes. If someone says they have an amplifier that produces 900watts RMS power at 0.5% THD, you can't really be sure that it won't exceed 1% THD at 1000watts, and 10% at 1100watts, and you know, the difference between 900 and 1000watts is probably minuscule and inaudible. If you want an amplifier with very low THD up to 900watt RMS, then get one that does +1000watt at 1% THD.

Anyways, I probably would have gotten either PPI Phantom P900.1 or Soundstream TN1.1200D. They're the same board inside supposedly, buy PPI was slightly underrated, both should be good for 1000watt RMS at 1% THD at 2ohm with 14.4 voltage. I have had good experience with this line of amplifiers.

If you want to move up a little, consider the Soundstream REF1.1000. They're very big, less efficient, and more expensive. But they're overbuilt, real tests show ridiculously low THD (like 0.01% in most of range) and they almost do their rated power with only a 12.5V battery.

You are right I suppose in the substage I probably couldn't hear anyhting under 6% to be honest, so really I just want to know my sub is getting clean power. I was afraid of the JL Audio JX line as I don't want to just buy a name. I would rather have a good amp I have never heard than a less than par amp with a popular name brand. I did find the JL Audio JX1000.1D for 219 on ebay tho

Thanks for the quick replies, this site is truly pretty cool. I sifted through a ton of old posts looking to find an answer to my exact question but was unable (could be user error as I am new here). I really just want to get the best amp for my setup I can within my budget and I have spent hours upon hours searching and seem to find mixed reviews. I guess everyone's tastes are not the same... duh lol but I don't want to buy and regret it later. I am also aware there is no "best" amplifier but I do believe there are crappy ones. Thanks for any and all the input so far and to come.

A quick question about the PPI amp line, is the Power Class worth the extra money? I have seen good specs from them but not sure. I have looked at so many amps my eyes are crossed. I couldn't decide between the phantom line and the black ice line for the longest... and still can't. I used to run an older mmats D300 on two jl w-3's. I was just too big of a setup for me, I want the trunk space back nowadays. But I was truly astonished at that amp. Hated to see it go but got top dollar for it so I can't complain. I just want something better for a daily driver that will give me great sound.

If you're not opposed to going used, the older Kicker ZX subs are some of my favorite subs for running at 2 ohms on the sub stage.

You can pretty much always find a Kicker ZX750 or ZX1000 locally on CL for less than 200....sometimes less than 150.

You could also look for yourself a Boston Acoustics GT24, GT2200, GT28, or GT2300. If you keep an eye on eBay, you can get them for your price range and they'll do everything you need and more.

ok so after reading many reviews I think I am going to get the Kicker ZX Series. Either the 750.1 or the 1000.1 not sure yet. Geez I have never been so indecisive in my life. Any one have a Kicker ZX powering an Alpine SWR-10D4? I think the 750 is probably enough but I am going sealed so might want the extra mmph. Thoughts?

ok so after reading many reviews I think I am going to get the Kicker ZX Series. Either the 750.1 or the 1000.1 not sure yet. Geez I have never been so indecisive in my life. Any one have a Kicker ZX powering an Alpine SWR-10D4? I think the 750 is probably enough but I am going sealed so might want the extra mmph. Thoughts?
I've had two type R d2 10s on a zx750 and it was plenty for me

Nah I heard to many issues with heat and the price is wrong on the Alpine Amps. My friend had an 2009 and it hit hard but overheated often. I am not sure about new ones. So I am gonna go with the 750.1 Kicker but any opinions about 08' model versus 11' model? Ex. 08ZX750.1 or 11ZX750.1

Nah I heard to many issues with heat and the price is wrong on the Alpine Amps. My friend had an 2009 and it hit hard but overheated often. I am not sure about new ones. So I am gonna go with the 750.1 Kicker but any opinions about 08' model versus 11' model? Ex. 08ZX750.1 or 11ZX750.1
I would actually go for 06 or 07

Well... I bought it. I am outta the country currently but when I get back and hook it up I will give review. Thanks for everyone's opinions. Guess I can partly change my signature now. I am feeding the component sets from the head unit and am not unhappy with that for now but will eventually get them amp'ed... maybe. We'll see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.