Open Door Speaker in Sealed Enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

budget76
10+ year member

fawkin' newb
Well, picked up a set of focal 5.25 mids. Emailed Focal asking what kit they were from, and got :

The speaker you have is from an old kit called a 130H.

Its a 4ohm driver and is designed to work in a open door

I have no kick panel mounting possibilities, my truck never came stock with a stereo, and I have a custom box mounted in front of the shifters that's completely sealed, and i'd say between .25-.5cubes internally MAX. gonna have to measure to find out the exact measurements if needed.

Would I have a problem running the Focals in a sealed box, since they're advertised as open door?

I'm not worried about SQ, it's a budget pieced together system, and i'm using these mids, DB Link crossovers, and MTX tweets, so I know it's not gonna be perfect, but it's what I have and the Xplods in the enclosure now blew (surprised?)

cool, that's what I thought, just didn't want to kill the speakers. What would happen, if, say, I made the box "ported" by drilling a 1'' hole or two in the side, midbass wise? I know they're 5.25's, and am not expecting much, but i'm curious.

thanks

well since you think porting it is just drilling a hole in it, i wouldn't consider doing any modifications to those enclosures
I know it's not porting, I thought it would just in essence be making it open air,like the inside of a door, free to move air in and out. It's not a Focal made enclosure or anything, one I made up, not custom built for the speakers or anything like that. Not talking about porting it like they're subs, that's why I had the quotes. I guess i'll leave it sealed then. I'm not quite that dumb, thinking ported=random holes drilled in a sealed enclosure. That was before I found CA.com

I had one with no back, so that was essentially free-air, but made a sealed one because I thought it'd be better overall. Whatever, got my question answered, and they'll go in sometime soon.

thanks

Mounting inside of a door should be sealed up, no air should be able to escape.

Wouldn't expect much in the way of midbass, but they're only 5.25s anyway.
I don't know, Ramos' 5.25" Rainbows still amaze me for what they do in subbass...true subbass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Mounting inside of a door should be sealed up, no air should be able to escape.

I don't know, Ramos' 5.25" Rainbows still amaze me for what they do in subbass...true subbass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thanks, I guess my doors on a 30 yr old truck are made a little different than new car doors:D They seal mostly, besides for up by the window. May throw these in soon. It's snowing today, I don't really want to go outside:crap:

thanks, I guess my doors on a 30 yr old truck are made a little different than new car doors:D They seal mostly, besides for up by the window. May throw these in soon. It's snowing today, I don't really want to go outside:crap:
Love the Scout //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I've been looking around for an 800...

Love the Scout //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I've been looking around for an 800...
Thanks man, it's four years in the making. Shoulda been crushed when I bought it. As i'm sure you know with scouts, SOLID drivetrain, but shot body:rolleyes: If you want a couple more pics for whatever reason pm me your email and i'll shoot em to you. Good luck finding an 800, like them more, just too small for a daily driver, and a little too rough.

where in nj do you live?
I'm in Manasquan, about 5 minutes from Point Pleasant, exit 98 on the PKWY

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.