One ohm or half ohm on my amplifier

Hey guys,

I picked up a twisted sounds 3.5k yesterday and will soon be getting two zcons which are rated at 2500 rms ea. This amp has been well known to put out around 4.5k rms at one ohm. I can opt either for two dual ones or twos, totaling for either one ohm final or half ohm final. I have one 250 amp alternator, and three kinetic 3800 batteries. The batteries are 135 ah each, and have 1800 cranking amps each.

Basically given the conditions, should I go for the one ohm around 4.5k, so 2250 ea to the zcons, or go for the half ohm stable and get the most out of my system? Some knowledgeable friends of mine all recommend .5, just trying to gather input.

Thank you,

Michael K

Did your friends offer to honor the warranty if your amp blows up trying to drive .5 ohm?

InB4 everyone tells you how their buddy runs theirs into 1/4 ohm all day every day. .5 ohm is very rough on semiconductors and if you can't laugh off the cost and downtime of sending it off for repair you might want to stick with running that amp as the seller suggests.

I put zcon soft parts on my mayhem. The sweet spot was 2.5-3k

If that amp does 4.5k @ 1ohm then you'd be in the safe zone for the subs and the amp.

On that electrical you'd be able to hold good voltage for that amp.

Rather be safe than sorry.

I put zcon soft parts on my mayhem. The sweet spot was 2.5-3k
If that amp does 4.5k @ 1ohm then you'd be in the safe zone for the subs and the amp.

On that electrical you'd be able to hold good voltage for that amp.

Rather be safe than sorry.
how you like the team?

Thanks for all the input guys. How did you like it with the zcon soft parts? I currently have two 12” American bass xfl each on a JL JX1000 so about 1000 Watts a piece. I imagine either way it will be quite a step up, or so I hope, and I’m hoping the zcon retain sound quality like I’m looking for as well, while obviously getting pretty loud.

Any idea how much the 3.5k would even put out at .5? If it isn’t much more than 5k I feel like it’s almost pointless.

Thanks for all the input guys. How did you like it with the zcon soft parts? I currently have two 12” American bass xfl each on a JL JX1000 so about 1000 Watts a piece. I imagine either way it will be quite a step up, or so I hope, and I’m hoping the zcon retain sound quality like I’m looking for as well, while obviously getting pretty loud. Any idea how much the 3.5k would even put out at .5? If it isn’t much more than 5k I feel like it’s almost pointless.
its a 4.5kw board. you will get a solid 4500 @ 1ohm.

The difference in spl between .5 and 1 ohm probably would not be even noticeable to the ear. So unless you are going to seriously compete, the risk is not worth the reward.

1 ohm. Don't think the TS amps are rated to handle .5 ohm. Do you listen to your friends when they tell ya they jumped off a cliff too?

So you’re saying you went from 4500 to 9000?
common impedance rise if roughly 2x what its wired to.

so if its wired to 1ohm look at the 2ohm power. probably around 3k

if its wired to .5ohm you are looking at getting the full 4500w out maybe a little more.

not that its going to be mind blowing but power is power and it does sound like you have stout electrical.

also cant 99% of amps now days handle .5ohm?

i ran my shark 2500.1 (which was a $99 amp) at .5ohm dropping to 10v daily and it still plays like a champ

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.