On the Inside

terifi
10+ year member

your average stereo junky
Building a sealed box, and just wondering what goes inside, the specs from the sub say fiberfill or fiberglass, whats fiberfill?

also would it be wise or stupid to put dynamat or the like on the inside of the box?

Originally posted by terifi Building a sealed box, and just wondering what goes inside, the specs from the sub say fiberfill or fiberglass, whats fiberfill?

also would it be wise or stupid to put dynamat or the like on the inside of the box?
I'd leave it empty if I were you.... most people say that they've not found any audible difference whether it's filled or not...

I read somewhere that filling would "trick" the speaker into thinking that it's in a bigger box... but you'd need wire mesh to prevent the fill from getting to your speakers...

Kicker's L& pdf manual has a detailed diagram on how and where to place the fills...

a lot of people put the damping mats OUTSIDE the box...I don't know if it's advisable to place it inside... why would you want to dampen the sub's performance before it's actually felt outside?

my 2 cents...

dynomat is ment to absorb sound (disapate the sound energy into heat) so no...dont use that....polyfill, fiberfill, fiberglass....they are all basicly the same thing, more importantly that all have the same effect and that being tricking the sub into having more air space (up to 20% more). you dont need wire mesh around the speaker, its just poly, its not going to hurt the speaker.....leave it empty if its a good sized box, some poeple say there is a sound difference, i dont hear one though.

w/ poly fill....its recomended aprox 1lb / cu. ft.......adding wire mesh could cause some magnetic interference w/ the speaker so def. leave it out.....ive never actually used it so i cant say as to whether or not there is a diff. in sound....theoriticly sp? there would be a bit of a diff.....

ok, cause as of now, the box is to exact peaker specs, 1.25cu ft, i read somewhere that not giving it enough can make it sound bad, just as too much air space can make it sound bad, however bad is theoretical, because one way (not sure which) makes it sound crisp and dry, and the other sloppy and wet...lol, so if you have one of those preferences, then its not nessasarily bad, however i also read that using a box with not enough space can cause voice coil seperation creating heat energy, and in turn perhaps burning up your sub, is any of what i said really true,

and isnt it bad to "trick" your sub,?

Originally posted by terifi ok, cause as of now, the box is to exact peaker specs, 1.25cu ft, i read somewhere that not giving it enough can make it sound bad, just as too much air space can make it sound bad, however bad is theoretical, because one way (not sure which) makes it sound crisp and dry, and the other sloppy and wet...lol, so if you have one of those preferences, then its not nessasarily bad, however i also read that using a box with not enough space can cause voice coil seperation creating heat energy, and in turn perhaps burning up your sub, is any of what i said really true,

and isnt it bad to "trick" your sub,?
I guess a smaller than recommended enclosure would mean tat you need more power to push the **** cones, and at the other end, it's got a bit more flexibility..( or at least that's what I remember)

a larger box will give you better low-end response...(this I got from Jmac...follow his advice, my trial box sounds excellent with jmac's specs) I've got a really underpowered amp, so I've gotta make sure I don't put unneccessary stress on my subs...

go for the largest possible size...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hey Jmac, i'm curious. If I had say like two type r's and a relatively small amp, would building a bigger box help me get more spl out of my subs rather than just giveing them more power. I use type R's cuz I know how they like to be fed alot of power in order to sound good, but if you didnt have the power couldnt you just build a bigger box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif It makes sense to me considering there is less back pressure on the sub giving it the ability to move further=loudness.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.