On a changing amps kick.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Found something interesting. Rating look legit. Love the styling.
Opinions?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263289294500
Ive always revered Nakamichi. Styling is pretty spot on IMO as well. Only thing that irks me about this guy is the word "competition" on the box. That hasnt been a thing really since the late 80s early 90s when it got beaten to death by every brand wanting their potential buyers to think that they mean serious business. In my view, actual "competition" stuff doesnt need to market itself as such, the specs speak for themselves

I didn't think Nakamichi has sold a good amp since Stephen Mantz was designing them and they're still riding the coat tails of their old head units from the 80's charging 400$ almost for Korean mid-fi with a plexi top and not even any crossover options built in.

IMO I'd give it a whirl for 200$ but I can't imagine it's anything different than you can get with a dozen different heatsinks and let's face it, A/B is completely obsolete.

I didn't think Nakamichi has sold a good amp since Stephen Mantz was designing them and they're still riding the coat tails of their old head units from the 80's charging 400$ almost for Korean mid-fi with a plexi top and not even any crossover options built in.
IMO I'd give it a whirl for 200$ but I can't imagine it's anything different than you can get with a dozen different heatsinks and let's face it, A/B is completely obsolete.
I would rather not have any crossover.

I like the top lol

I looked at these Nak amps a few weeks ago. The N4 looks OK but, is class a/b and will be terribly inefficient but, should sound fine. I'd like a closer look at the guts to see brand and ratings on the caps, etc..

It is the N1(mono class D) that is kind of odd. That is, the specs are odd. Shows a frequency response of 30-350hz. Never seen a mono-block with a frequency response number that doesn't go below 30hz. I'm sure you'd get some musical output below that number but, there might be a huge, fast roll-off too. Who knows.

I really wanted to like these N-series amps though. They definitely have nailed the cosmetics.

I looked at these Nak amps a few weeks ago. The N4 looks OK but, is class a/b and will be terribly inefficient but, should sound fine. I'd like a closer look at the guts to see brand and ratings on the caps, etc.. It is the N1(mono class D) that is kind of odd. That is, the specs are odd. Shows a frequency response of 30-350hz. Never seen a mono-block with a frequency response number that doesn't go below 30hz. I'm sure you'd get some musical output below that number but, there might be a huge, fast roll-off too. Who knows.

I really wanted to like these N-series amps though. They definitely have nailed the cosmetics.
It would be to much of a hassle to install them. I might do the JL RD900/5 but it will also require some rearranging.

It would be to much of a hassle to install them. I might do the JL RD900/5 but it will also require some rearranging.
I've heard good things about those RD amps. Some claim they're better than the XD's. I believe they feature unregulated power supplies.

Some of the reviews of the 5 channel RD at Crutchfield are funny. One user complained it was too big because it is 15" long. LOL!

I've heard good things about those RD amps. Some claim they're better than the XD's. I believe they feature unregulated power supplies. Some of the reviews of the 5 channel RD at Crutchfield are funny. One user complained it was too big because it is 15" long. LOL!
They look better and have clip lights. So imo they are better then the XDs.

We tried them out yesterday and they will fit but I’ll hsve to move stuff around. The 5 channel won’t.

That shop is not giving me the same deal on the 4 and mono as he was on the 5

They look better and have clip lights. So imo they are better then the XDs. We tried them out yesterday and they will fit but I’ll hsve to move stuff around. The 5 channel won’t.

i dont know why any brand would call anything an XD are they not aware of the fact that whatever theyre calling an XD looks like its laughing its a$$ off?

They look better and have clip lights. So imo they are better then the XDs. We tried them out yesterday and they will fit but I’ll hsve to move stuff around. The 5 channel won’t.

Would an Arc Audio XDi 850.5 work for you? It's smaller than the RD900/5, has a fully balanced input stage, slightly more powerful and is a little less expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARC-AUDIO-XDi850-5-5-CHANNEL-850W-RMS-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-SUBWOOFER-CAR-AMPLIFIER/400781358847?hash=item5d506e36ff:g:9eMAAOSwnDZUKeHu

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.