Cerwin Vega HED amps any good?

Gary S
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Cerwin Vega HED amps any good?

Hey guys, any amp guru's here? What do you think of the Cerwin Vega HED line of amps? Thinking about getting some budget amps. The only two names I trust right now for budget amps are Cerwin Vega and Orion. Also, does the amp look similar to any other brands? (I would think they might be using the same build house as Orion - Sonavox, perhaps?)

I just want something that will last a year and not blow up. Making a small sound quality system. with two amps - a 4-channel, probably around 80 watts X 4, and a mono sub amp on a couple of hi frequency tens in a custom made sealed box. I have a Surround sound processor and will play some Hi Res music. I might only need 400 to 600 watts on bass but I'm going with a 900 watter on bass for extra headroom. Mostly stock electrical system.

Also, any other amps you guys recommend? I also might look at Cadence or Powerbass. Give me a list.

Amp guts about 11 minutes into this video. Thanks guys

this was tested to do good power or the pioneer 4 channel are good amps do like 130x4.. look at vids on bigblanks channel maybe he can point u in right direction

The Zapco amps look interesting. I've never worked with them before, the name is legendary.

What is the 0db, 6db, 12db switch on the amp, top of the page here:

https://www.zapco.com/st-x-series

Is that a switchable crossover slope? I thought I saw that on another amp - Precision Power, perhaps?

NVX - yup, forgot about them.... that's another brand I would trust. They don't have very many amps on their site though.

Yeah, I've been watching some amp dynos on youtube - some good brands, some bad.....it makes my head spin though, watching all those vids, too much information, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zapco amps look interesting. I've never worked with them before, the name is legendary.
What is the 0db, 6db, 12db switch on the amp, top of the page here:

https://www.zapco.com/st-x-series

Is that a switchable crossover slope? I thought I saw that on another amp - Precision Power, perhaps?

NVX - yup, forgot about them.... that's another brand I would trust. They don't have very many amps on their site though.

Yeah, I've been watching some amp dynos on youtube - some good brands, some bad.....it makes my head spin though, watching all those vids, too much information, lol
it's bass boost, i guess since it has a 0 option

it's bass boost, i guess since it has a 0 option
- That makes sense.

The JL amps are ugly. But then so am I! JL is excellent but usually pricey.

The Pioneer 4-channel is impressive, lots of power for the dollar.

But wow, I'm starting to drool at the Zapcos.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.