Old Player, New Game! Been Away for a Few Years, Looking for Some Help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgolightly82
10+ year member

Hey guys, new to caraudio.com so I apologize if this is a stupid post. Used to be heavy in the audio scene when I was a bit younger, but kinda fell off for a few years, seeing how I lost my license. But anyway, I'm back and looking to get it right the first time!

So I've done a bit of research and I'm lookin for some advice.

Got a 03 Grand Am (decent trunk space, but small interior opening). My thoughts on the layout:

Headunit: JVC KW-AVX830 + 5.1 Processor (haven't done much checkin on the processor yet, any suggestions?

Speakers: Not sure yet, always ran Pioneer, but I'm reading good things about like Focal and Infinity, etc...Open to suggestions for sure!

Amps: 2) Soundstream DTower DTR1.1700 @ 1Ohm

Subs: 2) RE MX12D1 in a 4 cu. ported box @ 33hz

Batteries: 1) RedTop already under the hood, Adding a Kinetik 2400 to the rear

Altenator: 220A HO + Big 3

Wires: All Rockford wiring, always worked for me in the past!

*Anything that you guys can add or comment to would be much appreciated! I used to be a JL man back in the day, but times have changed I see! They seem to be kinda at the bottom of the totem poll these days, lol.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be a JL man back in the day, but times have changed I see! They seem to be kinda at the bottom of the totem poll these days, lol.
Nothing wrong with JL but it seems that you're after being loud, which is not what the JL's shine at. They still make some of the best sounding subs but most who bag on them wouldn't know good sound if it hit them in the face.

You need a front speaker amp. Why do you want a 5.1 processor?

The reason for the 5.1 processor was just to get the theather feelin going in the cab...but I haven't heard one personally, are they even worth it? Back when I ran the JL stuff, I was just into bangin the hell outta my car. Now I'm actually looking to get SQ and a nice crisp bass line. Somethin that'll piss off the neighborhood while not being distorted and smash my sunroof.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.