Old fart needs advice

Participant count
  • Participant list
I recently bought a 2015 GMC truck with the basic model radio. (Not the Bose) It has a 3.5 inch screen that shows radio and air conditioning info. No steering wheel controls.

It has a mini plug aux input in the console along with 2 USB ports and a slot for an SD card.

I want to add Sirius and maybe Bluetooth capability. The GMC helpline was not very "Helpful". I thought there would be add-on modules to add these features to my existing radio but, well, maybe not.

So.... The questions I have not been able to answer from GM and researching the manual:

Is either of the USB ports in the console also an aux input? Can I use a patch cord from the USB to my phone or tablet to input to the existing radio? (My tablet has phone capability for streaming Sirius without a satellite antenna.)

Or am I better off replacing the whole bloody radio with one that has Sirius, bluetooth and a bigger screen, GPS and smell-o-vision? Maybe backup camera as well? If I do will I lose the airconditioning control indications?

Try not to giggle at my lack of knowledge, I am nearly 60 and make my living in nuclear power. We do so with 60 year old tech. All running nukes were designed in the 1960s.

you'll be better off with the proper aftermarket headunit and wiring harness capable of bluetooth and sirius, but that really depends on how much money you're willing to invest. not trying to give you the run around but you may be better off asking around on the relevant GM full size forums as they'll have better working knowledge of the integration into the newer trucks as you have than we may be able to offer. we're more helpful once everything is already aftermarket.. unfortunately GM isn't very helpful there lol

aux to aux is simple, any source with aux output will work android or not, usb will be better quality but may not work depending on a variety of factors so it really depends on your goals

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.