Okay guys need some help. Severe Engine Whine

Participant count
  • Participant list

maxse
10+ year member

NY
So I had my system installed about 3 months ago and it was working beautifully. Crystal clear sound. Well 2 days ago for some reason I started getting a very loud screechy sound coming from all of my speakers. Also from time to time I would get a VERY LOUD THUMP 2-3 times and then it would revert back to the screeching. As I accelerate the pitch gets higher and higher.

I am running a pioneer Z1, Arc Amp and a DA sub amp.

So I disconnected the rcas coming into the amp and the noise dissapears which leads me to believe it is either the amp or the Z1 ( I am totoally clueless about car audio this is all from research).

Thing is I just talked to the installer to find out if my Z1 was grounded seperately and he said it is, and that it is a perfectly good ground. So if my Z1 is grounded what could it be? Everything was working fine all this time. Coulkd it be that I need to ground the RCAs on the Z1? I really dont know how to do that.

Also the noise is still there with the engine off however it buzzes much much less. Can ay1 help me out here? Any ideas?

was it also giving you loud POPPING/Thumping from time to time? Also how can I find a good ground? And why would the one I have go bad when it is working fine before?

That also sounds like it could be an RCA coming loose. Check all your connections. It also could be a case of the Pioneer signal ground problem rearing its ugly head. I would personally check the ground on the HU to make sure that it isn't just randomly screwed down somewhere and that it hasn't come loose. If the noise goes away when you unplug the RCAs the problem is with the HU or its grounding.

Loud popping is definately something loose. First time i installed my system into my cherokee, the ground wire on my 4ch amp came loose. Every time I hit a bump it would move around and loose connection for a split second and make that noise.

Check all connections and make sure they are tight.

thanks guys. Turned put to be a loose speaker connection that was touching metal. Sounds beautiful again. Thanks everyone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.