Ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list
i have a prob trying to figure out what to do wid 4 speakers.. 2 audiobans, and 2 memphis. all 4 are 12's. i have a jensen ka-3 3 channel mono block amp that i've been running for 4 years on the audiobans wid no probs. now, wid all4 speaks wired parallel. i'm reading 0.6 ohms. the amp can deal wid it for 30 min. by the these are dual voice coil speaks, all 4. all reading 4 ohms on each voice coil of each speak. then each speak reads 2 ohms wired in parrallel, thats 1 speak reading 2 ohms parrallel. my amp is stable to 1 ohm. could some one please help me out here? i never ran 4 12's before, this is a new ballgame for me thanx //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

if your overall system load is 0.6ohms, that's the reason why the amp shuts down. you can rewire all of your subs to achieve an overall system load of 2ohms. since you say your amp is 1ohm stable, it shouldn't shut down with the 2ohm setup. however, why do you want to run all four subs? i'm pretty sure you don't have enough power to properly run all of them. i would run two max of the same brand. how many rms watts does your amp produce?

I hate to be the one that tells you this but your amp is NOT NOT NOT 1 OHM stable. It is stable down to 2 Ohms, and it has a 250 PEAK bass channel. YOU are underpowering those 4 12's. I can bet you can make 2 12's getting 100 watts each sound a lot better than 4 getting 50 watts or less. If you keep the wireing you have now that amp will not last long at all. That amp says 250 watts MAX at 2 OHMS. Well here are the specs

2 x 100w into 4 ohms and 2 x 200w into 2 ohms

400w peak bridged

250w subchannel peak power

MOSFET power supply

Bipolar output transistors

Tri-mode bridgeable operation

Variable high/low pass crossover

Stable down to 2 ohms

Bass boost

Extruded aluminum chassis with side controls

Power LED indicator

20Hz - 20kHz

That amp WILL NOT run those 12s worth a damm. Sell 2 of the 12's and go get you a good bass amp that will push 250 to each 12 and then I bet you will be happy. I am not trying to be a a$$ but that amp will not do what I think you want it to do.

Well I have read about 10 different sites dealing with this amp and I finally found one that said the Sub channel WAS 1 OHM stable. HMMMMMM why did only ONE site say that? well here is the other specs I found. But no matter this amp is not designed to run that many subs PERIOD.

2 CHANNEL

50W X 2 RMS @ 4OHMS, BRIDGED IS 200W.

KA3 Features

MOSFET Power Supply

Bi-polar Output Transistors

2 ohm Stable (Stereo Operation)

1 Ohm Stable (Sub-Channel)

Tri-Mode Operation

Bridgeable Operation

Variable High Pass Crossover (50-250Hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.