Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread (((PICS)))

I can't give a good reason other than experience. I have grounded to aluminum before and had problems down the road. If memory serves me (it probably doesn't) i think aluminum is actually a better conductor than steel, so I would have to guess it's the rate at which it tarnishes. If nobody else chimes in I'll actually take time and find the true answer, for now my chem book isn't moving and i'm studying biology.
From what my dad has told me, and he knows a lot about metals and electronics, and he says aluminum is a bad conductor of electricity. It corrodes very quickly under electrical current also.

And for future reference of everyone on here, dont buy the audiopipe battery terminals. I bought the set that had the positive terminal that had a voltmeter built in, and they are crappy design and are too small to fit over U.S. spec batteries.

I'm trying to increase my system's voltage. On top of doing the big three with 0 guage this weekend, would adding a second battery (optima yellow top) in the back help significantly? I do NOT wish to add an alternator at this point (can't afford it)

if you want more voltage out of your system just hook up a bunch of batteries in series. that will get you a laot of voltage but most likely frie your electrical system. now if you want to get more current out of your electrical system then yes adding a second battery in parallel with your stock battery should provide more amperage for your qudio system

i cannot find any battery terminas that accept dual 0 guage wires besides the phoenix gold and i think its discontinued.. i looked on ebay there are no dual 0 gauge terminals.... what is everyone using
this is actually what i'll be running. i had the same issue, not many 2x0awg battery terminals out there. so i'll be putting 5/16 ring terms on mine.

the other alternative is using a 0-4awg reducer like this just search "reducer" on ebay.

if you want more voltage out of your system just hook up a bunch of batteries in series. that will get you a laot of voltage but most likely frie your electrical system. now if you want to get more current out of your electrical system then yes adding a second battery in parallel with your stock battery should provide more amperage for your qudio system
So will having 2 batteries in parallel be a LOT tougher on my alternator??

So will having 2 batteries in parallel be a LOT tougher on my alternator??
You can't "increase" voltage in your car unless you run a completely seperate electrical system.

If you want to "stabalize" voltage than doing the big three and adding another battery might help. Overall though, you're going to need that HO alt sooner or later.

oh yeah, and adding a second battery for the alt to charge... will tax it more.

Question...Lets say I have a Optima red top replacing my factory battery and a optima yellow top in the trunk of my car right by the system...

How would I do the BIG 3? Would I do it to the Red top, yellow top, or both? Im confused about that.

Question...Lets say I have a Optima red top replacing my factory battery and a optima yellow top in the trunk of my car right by the system...
How would I do the BIG 3? Would I do it to the Red top, yellow top, or both? Im confused about that.
You would run the big three to whichever battery is running your system. You shouldn't have any problems with the battery running your stock car electrical system. This means you need a bunch more wire than you normally would to run from the battery in the trunk to the alt.

Wow, I can say after reading all the pages of this information, that this seems like a very cost efficient way to keep a constant voltage flow in your vehicle. I just place an order through knukonceptz for all the rest of the wiring I need for my truck (2006 Dakota) and I must say, this will be the first thing done to the truck's electrical system. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You guys rawk!

Hey,

I have a quick qustion. Where my stock battery ground connects to the chassis (also where the chassis to engine block connects), there was paint at the connector. If it's so important to sand when you ground to the chassis, why doesn't the manufacturer take that into consideration?

Also, I shouldn't necessarily need copper connectors, correct? My dad is an electrician, and I was going to use an aluminum lug typically used in electrical installs for the batt. to chassis and chassis to engine block.

Thanks!

I have been out of the groove for awhile..but common sense tells me you should look into getting a "dual battery isolator" if you plan to run 2 bats..to keep with the 12 volt car system.Nobody mentions this.there again,would u do the "Big 3 to yur primary battery,or the isolator??.....just food for thought

Any done The Big 3 on a Z32? I don't know how the hell I'm gonna run from battery pos to alt pos. The alt is on bottom of the mottor. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.