oddest problem ever encountered. help appreciated.

Participant count
  • Participant list
I am having a very odd problem with my wife's dodge neon. Her speakers don't come on unless the passenger side door is open or closed very tightly. The stereo still works fine, and since it works with the door held tightly shut, the wire cant be crossed with the interior light wire. I've taken the door panel off and checked the wires going from the console to the speaker, and neither are grounded or pinched. I've checked the wires behind the stereo and all look great. I'm out of ideas....any help you can give me would be appreciated, as im completely clueless by this point. Thanks!

I am having a very odd problem with my wife's dodge neon. Her speakers don't come on unless the passenger side door is open or closed very tightly. The stereo still works fine, and since it works with the door held tightly shut, the wire cant be crossed with the interior light wire. I've taken the door panel off and checked the wires going from the console to the speaker, and neither are grounded or pinched. I've checked the wires behind the stereo and all look great. I'm out of ideas....any help you can give me would be appreciated, as im completely clueless by this point. Thanks!
start with some background - like what is stock and what is aftermarket? what wiring is stock and what wiring is aftermarket? did you run new wiring to door speakers? did you install new door speakers? do you have crossovers somewhere in the door?

sounds like a short is preventing the system from working and depending on the position of the door, it changes if the short is present or not. it is common for amplifiers to protect themselves in the presence of a short on speaker wire outputs.

note that "checking" a connection means re-doing it. you cannot see what is going on through insulation, and all connections should be crimped or soldered. any wire twisted with tape should be replaced with a proper crimp. but the terminations are not as likely the issue as the wire itself.

wire (stock and aftermarket) passes from the body to the door through the stock rubber grommet. anything ran exterior to that rubber grommet is incorrect and should be redone. the rubber grommets themselves can come loose, causing wire to rub on the metal edge and eventually short out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.