Obsidian vs Sundwon SA vs Skar VVX vs SSA Dcon vs Fi X

Which for a 12'' Sound Quality sub

• Total voters
No mention of DC? and their Level 3's? A level 3 12" can be had for a lot less than a SA-12 or FI X and for about the same price as a SKAR VVX and Obsidian and I prefer the DC over both for SQ and SPL. I only put about 600w to each of my 15" Level 3's with added spiders and they LOVE it, one of these could take 800-1k daily no problem and get really loud, i'd just do a slightly bigger box than recommended off only 800w (if you even see that below 14.4v) The SA will not perform as well off less power and the FI X is pricey for what it's. Never heard an Obsidian but SKAR's don't have the best SQ from what I've heard, then again a lot of subwoofers I've heard I don't believe to have good SQ while most say they do so I guess that point is moot.

Anyways hit up mylows10 for pricing and you will see what I mean and if you wait a little bit DC is releasing a new line of Level 3's that are 1000RMS and about the same cost as a SA. But all in all price/performance I would probably get a Dcon, I've heard the Xcons in a car sealed in the trunk off like 2k and they ****** slammed and sounded hella clean.

that is some pretty useful information there. I guess i am not going to something that can get really loud as i do no want to go deaf early in my age haha. I would rather have something that can play just about every genre of music really well with very good sound quality. what do you guys think of these.....K5 12D2 - 12" High Performance Subwoofer whats the difference between a sub having dual coil 4ohms and dual coil 2ohms

sorry man i just want to get information as quick as possible. i want to get my sub and amp asap too. been looking at sites and forums for information and knowledge. what kind of music sounds good in a ported and a sealed box?

that is some pretty useful information there. I guess i am not going to something that can get really loud as i do no want to go deaf early in my age haha. I would rather have something that can play just about every genre of music really well with very good sound quality. what do you guys think of these.....K5 12D2 - 12" High Performance Subwoofer whats the difference between a sub having dual coil 4ohms and dual coil 2ohms
If you REALLY want SQ and a little bump in your trunk then just get the Dayton HO's they are really cheap right now Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-466 They are only a single 4 ohm voice coil but can take 800w daily the hard part would be finding an amplifier on the cheap that does 800 rated @ 4 ohms. For $150 I wouldn't get those DB Drives though personally they just aren't that great for the money when compared to the others mentioned in this thread. You could pickup a MB Quart Onyx on the cheap that does 500 @ 4 ohm and 1000 @ 2 ohm so that way if you want a second Dayon HO you could run them both off that amplifier and if you get a third you could do that too just expanding possibilities. Sounds to me like you want some good punchy SQ and a decent level of bass and I think everything you listed is the opposite of that unfortunatly with the exception of the DCON.

For SQ with some bass I'd go: Dayton HO > DCON > Level 3 > SA12 > Obsidian > SKAR > FI X

For SPL with a little bit of SQ I'd go: Level 3 > SA12 > DCON > SKAR > Obsidian > FI X

If you REALLY want SQ and a little bump in your trunk then just get the Dayton HO's they are really cheap right now Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-466 They are only a single 4 ohm voice coil but can take 800w daily the hard part would be finding an amplifier on the cheap that does 800 rated @ 4 ohms. For $150 I wouldn't get those DB Drives though personally they just aren't that great for the money when compared to the others mentioned in this thread. You could pickup a MB Quart Onyx on the cheap that does 500 @ 4 ohm and 1000 @ 2 ohm so that way if you want a second Dayon HO you could run them both off that amplifier and if you get a third you could do that too just expanding possibilities. Sounds to me like you want some good punchy SQ and a decent level of bass and I think everything you listed is the opposite of that unfortunatly with the exception of the DCON.
For SQ with some bass I'd go: Dayton HO > DCON > Level 3 > SA12 > Obsidian > SKAR > FI X

For SPL with a little bit of SQ I'd go: Level 3 > SA12 > DCON > SKAR > Obsidian > FI X
whats the difference between subs having dual coils 4ohms, dual coil 2ohms, single coil 4ohms, single coil 2 ohms?

if i were to get a dayton HO or a Dcon, what type of box should be pref

whats the difference between subs having dual coils 4ohms, dual coil 2ohms, single coil 4ohms, single coil 2 ohms?if i were to get a dayton HO or a Dcon, what type of box should be pref
More wiring options basically doesn't really change anything else I'm sure theres a little more to it then that but the Dayton HO is said to handle lows really well and take upwards of 1k daily on the right install/setup. In the end it's cheaper to run a 1 ohm amplifier to a subwoofer with more impedance options than that of a Single 4 ohm voice coil. If you plan on getting 2 Daytons it would even out or even 3 Daytons as you could use 2/1 Ohm from an amplifier and probably spend less allowing you a cleaner amplifier for the money, but in the end 4 ohms is very efficient on most amplifiers so is 2 ohms so it WILL ultimately sound cleaner and cause less voltage drop it's just less demanding. But if you want to go ahead and get a good 800w @ 1 ohm amplifier and spend less/equal and only plan to run 1 of those listed subwoofers the DCON is probably your choice. Both can take atleast 800w daily and offer good SQ I guess it depends on if you plan to upgrade in the future, your budget and what kind of amplifier you want. Personally I would go with Daytons after hearing them recently they have good low end punchy bass that sounds clean as all hell I've heard from a few they operate even better than the FI Q in some instances.

For the Dayton HO 12" they like sealed enclosures or enclosures tuned in the mid 30's, if you're looking for clean deep bass with one go with a ported enclosure tuned to about 33-34hz @ 1.2-1.5ft^3.

For the SSA dcon 12" they like similar but with a box size of around 1.75-2.25ft^3.

sorry man i just want to get information as quick as possible. i want to get my sub and amp asap too. been looking at sites and forums for information and knowledge. what kind of music sounds good in a ported and a sealed box?
If a ported box is built right it wont matter what type of music it is...

Rock & quick punchy bass is best in Sealed boxes sometimes rap can be done right on a sealed box but it's kind of more dependent on the subwoofer itself and the bracing/size of the enclosure. If you listen to Hiphop, Rap and that sort of music ported is almost ALWAYS the way to go also you can tune higher with a smaller box when you go vented and achieve similar sound comparible to a sealed enclosure but in the end sealed is just always more punchy and productive on higher/faster notes and ultimately sounds cleaner 90% of the time.

If I were you I would just get the SSA dcon I suppose because you don't seem like you would notice a difference not being an avid audiophile or anything and you will spend less on an amplifier and probably be a little louder. But like I said if you have any thoughts of going with 2 12's get the Daytons and a amplifier that does 1000-1200rms @ 2 ohms possibly a good Kicker ZX1000 as they do more than rated @ 2 ohms with good efficiency and will do about 800w @ 4 ohms.

Rock & quick punchy bass is best in Sealed boxes sometimes rap can be done right on a sealed box but it's kind of more dependent on the subwoofer itself and the bracing/size of the enclosure. If you listen to Hiphop, Rap and that sort of music ported is almost ALWAYS the way to go also you can tune higher with a smaller box when you go vented and achieve similar sound comparible to a sealed enclosure but in the end sealed is just always more punchy and productive on higher/faster notes and ultimately sounds cleaner 90% of the time.
If I were you I would just get the SSA dcon I suppose because you don't seem like you would notice a difference not being an avid audiophile or anything and you will spend less on an amplifier and probably be a little louder. But like I said if you have any thoughts of going with 2 12's get the Daytons and a amplifier that does 1000-1200rms @ 2 ohms possibly a good Kicker ZX1500 as they do rated @ 2 ohms with good efficiency and will do over 800w @ 4 ohms.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...