Obsidian vs Sundwon SA vs Skar VVX vs SSA Dcon vs Fi X

Which for a 12'' Sound Quality sub

• Total voters
Personally I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I would pick the one that will fit the power/dimensions best that you have to work with.

what do you mean it comes down to how much power i have on tap?
How much power your amp can put out. If you only have 500w of usable power, the Fi X and DCON may be your best choice. For 800-1000w, the SA, obsidian and skar would be good options. Also look into the Sundown SD series, they are relatively new drivers that have less mounting depth and lower power handling, but still great subs.

They all work with each other lol yes well except for FI.....
How big is your amp ding dong, thats what it comes down too
well im currently trying to find a nice amp, dont know which one, so im going to need help with that too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif but what do you guys think about a DB Drive A5 800.1 D specs==> 4 Ohms @ 14.4 Volts - 1 x 400 Watts

2 Ohms @ 14.4 Volts - 1 x 800 Watts

Subsonic Filter - 15Hz-55Hz

Capability - 2 Ohms Mono

How much space do you have to work with, ported or sealed, and budget for everything all said and done. That will be the biggest defining factors. Especially since you do not have an amp. Everyone saying which brand will sound better depending on the amp is lunacy.

what do you mean it comes down to how much power i have on tap?
well im currently trying to find a nice amp, dont know which one, so im going to need help with that too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif but what do you guys think about a DB Drive A5 800.1 D specs==> 4 Ohms @ 14.4 Volts - 1 x 400 Watts2 Ohms @ 14.4 Volts - 1 x 800 Watts

Subsonic Filter - 15Hz-55Hz

Capability - 2 Ohms Mono
We already said in your other post that its a decent amp. You could run that to a sundown SD12 and it would love it. Although its prob enough for the obsidans and skars. But with your low buget ide go sundown SD, FI X, or SSA DCON. I hear the DCONS are AMAZING though, ide get one of thoughs

We already said in your other post that its a decent amp. You could run that to a sundown SD12 and it would love it. Although its prob enough for the obsidans and skars. But with your low buget ide go sundown SD, FI X, or SSA DCON. I hear the DCONS are AMAZING though, ide get one of thoughs
So your recommendation is based on something you heard was good? Not knowing the space he has to work with? Or what type of enclosure he wants/needs?

How much space do you have to work with, ported or sealed, and budget for everything all said and done. That will be the biggest defining factors. Especially since you do not have an amp. Everyone saying which brand will sound better depending on the amp is lunacy.
i was told ported sounds much better, so i think i would prefer ported. Is a ported box much bigger than a sealed box? my budget would probably be around $500 (amp, sub, amp kit, converter, box). So i should probably decide which amp to get first? then work on deciding which sub?

There are different trains of thought on the ported vs sealed when it comes to SQ. Depending on the sub, you can get very good response with a sealed enclosure. Generally ported has better low end extension (sub 30 hz). Ported boxes tend to be 1.5 times bigger than sealed.

Price out what type of converter you want to use, rca's, power and ground first. Take whats left over, subtract probably $70 for wood, glue, carpet etc. Whatever is left over is what you have for a sub and an amp.

That's when you find what is in the price range. Figure out how much space you are willing to sacrifice. Pick the sub from there. Once you have the sub picked, it is easy to find an amp to match the rating for the sub.

There are different trains of thought on the ported vs sealed when it comes to SQ. Depending on the sub, you can get very good response with a sealed enclosure. Generally ported has better low end extension (sub 30 hz). Ported boxes tend to be 1.5 times bigger than sealed.
Price out what type of converter you want to use, rca's, power and ground first. Take whats left over, subtract probably $70 for wood, glue, carpet etc. Whatever is left over is what you have for a sub and an amp.

That's when you find what is in the price range. Figure out how much space you are willing to sacrifice. Pick the sub from there. Once you have the sub picked, it is easy to find an amp to match the rating for the sub.
Converter - PAC SNI-35 Adjustable 2-Channel Line Out Converter -$15

Amp kit - DB Link PK4Z 4 Gauge Power Series Amplifier Installation Kit - $30

(dont know if any of these are good)

wood, glue, carpet, etc - $70

installation for sub, amp, amp kit converter @ local shop - $70

dont want to spend more than $550, so i would have about $365 for a sub and amp.

Where do i go from here?

Converter - PAC SNI-35 Adjustable 2-Channel Line Out Converter -$15Amp kit - DB Link PK4Z 4 Gauge Power Series Amplifier Installation Kit - $30

(dont know if any of these are good)

wood, glue, carpet, etc - $70

installation for sub, amp, amp kit converter @ local shop - $70

dont want to spend more than $550, so i would have about $365 for a sub and amp.

Where do i go from here?
i have a volkswagen rabbit hatchback, so the box would have to go in the back. I really dont care too much about space except that there is a flap cover that covers the back trunk, i just dont want the box to be too high and the cover not be able to cover the trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...