Noobs First Wall; Democcord Part 2

Just a small update. One of a few things came in for the build and I went ahead and started the trunk, just something minor to hold equipment

This is what I’m thinking the layout will be for the back piece

This is how I decided to keep and put 4 channel on left panel and battery on right panel, so it would allow me to have some trunk space for miscellaneous, groceries, etc.

Moved on to the carpeting

And now I’m 8 layers into b pillar and will go 2 more. Hopefully by this weekend pillars should be done and so is trunk so all that I would be left is finish baffle, port, and bracing inside as well as tuning.

Thanks hopefully baffle will be done by the end of the week and should start bracing from there
Yea, i agree. i like how much effort you are putting into it. Its looking great. When it comes to fiberglass. Its the mat that adds strength. You really do not need to use fleece as all you're doing is soaking a ton of resin into a fabric and letting it dry. The resin itself is really weak, its the resin drying into a cross-stitched pattern of mat that gives it strength. The best way to do it get the thinnest easiest fabric you can and resin that, some even use panty hose. You'll have a fragile ultra thin form. Start adding mat/cloth and you'll quickly have a thick layer of ultra strong FG. You will save an untold amount of resin this way.

I dont know much about box/wall design and this may need to be answered by someone other than you, but how come you didn't utilize the trunk for airspace? Could you not have built the large part of the box/baffle in the cabin with a smaller section in the trunk? Like an L shaped box.

Yea, i agree. i like how much effort you are putting into it. Its looking great. When it comes to fiberglass. Its the mat that adds strength. You really do not need to use fleece as all you're doing is soaking a ton of resin into a fabric and letting it dry. The resin itself is really weak, its the resin drying into a cross-stitched pattern of mat that gives it strength. The best way to do it get the thinnest easiest fabric you can and resin that, some even use panty hose. You'll have a fragile ultra thin form. Start adding mat/cloth and you'll quickly have a thick layer of ultra strong FG. You will save an untold amount of resin this way.
I dont know much about box/wall design and this may need to be answered by someone other than you, but how come you didn't utilize the trunk for airspace? Could you not have built the large part of the box/baffle in the cabin with a smaller section in the trunk? Like an L shaped box.
Thanks, it’s my first wall (one of the first few boxes) so I’m trying to work on every detail and take my time to get it the way I want it. So for the b pillar I have been using Matt and resin for each layer, let it dry then use more mat and resin. So as of right now I have 8 layers of mat and 8 layers of resin. As far as inside goes and the angles, Ive done 2 layers of each. As far as trunk goes, I could have used it to be honest and gotten a lot more air space but with what I got from the cabin I was happy with so I left it as such. I wanted to use the trunk for a few other things so I wanted to have some space. For now I’m only planning to run that 4K with 4 15s and see what that does tuned to 36hz

Thanks, it’s my first wall (one of the first few boxes) so I’m trying to work on every detail and take my time to get it the way I want it. So for the b pillar I have been using Matt and resin for each layer, let it dry then use more mat and resin. So as of right now I have 8 layers of mat and 8 layers of resin. As far as inside goes and the angles, Ive done 2 layers of each. As far as trunk goes, I could have used it to be honest and gotten a lot more air space but with what I got from the cabin I was happy with so I left it as such. I wanted to use the trunk for a few other things so I wanted to have some space. For now I’m only planning to run that 4K with 4 15s and see what that does tuned to 36hz
I was just mentioning FG and i noticed you used fleece. Thought i'd chime in and let you know there is an easier way :p

You want space for groceries in a walled car...pshhh casual ;3

36hz is nice. 28hz woulda been nicer. Maybe accomplish-able with that added space in the trunk...

I was just mentioning FG and i noticed you used fleece. Thought i'd chime in and let you know there is an easier way :p
You want space for groceries in a walled car...pshhh casual ;3

36hz is nice. 28hz woulda been nicer. Maybe accomplish-able with that added space in the trunk...
I always welcome input man, I’ve acttually used a couple ideas from here. That’s the main reason I wanted to put the build here, wanted to listen to opinions good or bad. Haha yea I did use fleece for first layer since it’s all a had at the time and didn’t feel like going to the store and get anything else. This will be my daily once I’m done with it so I unfortunately will need some small space for miscellaneous instead of all audio. At some point I will re do another wall ina different vehicle without a sunroof and I’ll be able to use all these ideas like trunk space and what not. But for now just got to work with what I got

Interesting thread, subscribed.

Small updates. So I started fitting the baffle and making the port. The port is going to be interchangeable. I’m going to make the port and have a front plate that will attach to the baffle itself. I currently ran out of wood and that’s why t looks unfinished but port will be 2 layers thick on each side then plus the front plate once I get more wood. Everything test fitted correctly, but don’t want to permanently attach baffle till I get atleast one of the subs and make sure everything fits from there

There will be metal rod attached on each side of port for bracing plus the additional metal rods I will be using for inside the box. I also took a tip from someone who gave me this idea on using distribution block for ground and power for my lights and camer and stuff. Placed it in the glove compartment since I won’t be using it and screwed it in place. Makes it a lot more organized from what I had

Will have more updates soon, hopefully baffle and sub wholes and bracing will be done soon

Most walls are built to meter and at a certain point the shape inside the box matters and the sort of turbulence you'd get could become a problem. Also in a sedan or coupe usually you'll need the entire trunk for batteries and amps. IMO the only way that airspace would really be usable is if you were doing a 4th and used that for part of your sealed chamber but I'd think it's very overly complicated, and for what? Another 4-6 cubes after wood and bracing?

I’m not chasing crazy numbers, just trying to get a decent number this season. At this point, as long as I get higher than “papermaker” I’ll be happy.

It's been a little while since I last updated. So I decided to take a small turn and change amps and subs I'm using. I have pre-ordered 4 15" Wolfram AU and 2 Wolfram 4500's. Hopefully if ETA is right I should have equipment by the end of the year. Currently I have purchased some much needed power in the car. I changed my stock battery to the XS power V3400 plus the XS 3100 in the trunk. I have also just recently got a limitless lithium 45ah battery. I have bought all the wire and amp reducers I'll need, distribution blocks, ANL fuse holders and fuses, and I also recently got a crimper for $40 from amazon that for the price is doing really well. Ill be posting pics soon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...