Noob question on baffling

Participant count
  • Participant list
I just bought some 6.5" Pioneer TS-1671R's off eBay for my Toyota RAV4. I did the installation myself (my first car audio install) and like the newbie I am, I installed the speakers flush against the metal of my car. Within a day, one speaker was already rattling. What is the best way to prevent this? Mind you, I am on a budget. I was thinking of cutting up a mouse pad, using the material to isolate the speaker from the metal, and then getting some nuts and bolts and loctite from the hardware store to replace the dinky little screws. I read on a RAV4 forum about a guy who used glue instead. What do you all think?

Are the screws tight enough or did they strip out the hole? Try some new screws, larger ones. There shouldn't be a problem with that, the mouse pad thing would work too, or some rubber.

Thanks for the reply. The screws didn't strip the holes. I actually had to drill new holes in the metal because the holes didn't line up. The speakers came with screws and little brackets that the screws were to go into. Although the fit between screws and brackets was pretty snug to begin with, I could see how things would loosen up pretty easily.

Go to a local Best Buy or Circuit City and buy there Dynamat door kit. Its like a $20 kit with 2 sheets of 10"x10" of dynamat for the 2 speakers, should help alot with any rattles.

**** that. just use the mousepad.

use nuts and bolts, and make sure they wont come loose. a cheaper way to get 'loctite' is to use nailpolish. just screw it nice and tight, and a few drops of nail polish on the shaft of the screw there. when it dries, it will lock it in place... but not hard enough so that its non-removeable.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

mousepad is a good idea. but dont forget - the speaker could be messed up, or somthing else on the door could be rattling.

req,

Thanks for the advice on the nail polish. I did think $20 was a bit much. I hardly paid $60 for all 4 speakers. About the rattling, it's coming from a rear speaker that isn't mounted to a door. I tested it before mounting, so I'm pretty sure it's just my installation that's the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.