Noob in need of help please!

noobbass
10+ year member

AZ
I will try to keep this as short as possible. I have 2 JL Audio 500/1 amps. Each one is supposed to power 1 10w7. I bought them maybe 6 years ago in high school. About a year and a half ago one sub stopped playing so I went to a shop. The guys told me the inputs on one of my amps was broken. I have no experience with this kind of thing. How difficult would it be for me to repair the inputs on the amp? How expensive can I expect something like this to be? Also where could I get information on how to fix it? I know next to nothing about car audio other than I miss what mine used to be.

Also the shop said having the working amp power just 1 of the subs was better than having it under power both of them. So for a while now only one amp has been powering one sub. Both subs are in great condition its just those dang inputs.

Separate question. I broke the RCA cables on the amp that does work. The plugs basically broke off in the amp. I think I can get them out pretty easily though. Can I just cut the plugs off and replace them or do I need to get new wires and run them through the car again. I also have no idea how to run the wires through my car or how to repair the RCA for that matter. Or how my stuff is wired period. Everything has always been done in a shop for me.

So in a nutshell how do I fix the broken inputs? How do I fix the RCA wires? Is this type of project something I can try to tackle a little bit each weekend? I will basically need to learn how to do all of this on the go.

Here are some pictures. May or may not help but maybe I can get a little more advice from them.

Amp on left has the broken inputs. Amp on right the RCAs broke when getting the spare tire out from under the subs.

amps1.jpg

Close up of broken wires.

ampclose.jpg

subs

subs1.jpg

I am extremely grateful for any help you guys can give me. I am trying to get things fixed for as little money as possible. I just want to get my stuff working like it used to.

first on the amp you broke the rcas in,its easy to push the heads out once you open the amp...yeah run a new set of rcas...sorry no help on input repair..but if you try to send them to jl, they will tell you they only will take it if itcomes from a jl dealer

you can try to open up your amp and see if anything is broken off (maybe where the rca cables are supposed to connect to the board) and solder it back into place, and same for the wire just solder some new ends on it or, re run the cable(take apart the panels where you can get to the wire and run it from the back of your deck to the amp and just make sure its hidden and fits back together). make sure the rca's are on the opposite side of the car from the power cable thou.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.