No sound&no power. Dim clock when power connected

Participant count
  • Participants list

Myhrern

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey! I have a problem with my wiring, I think... I'm using a factory to aftermarket ISO wiring harness (Picture 2, without the single pink wire). I had no problems to begin with after freshly installing a stereo (Generic car store brand unit) in my 96' Toyota Corolla sedan.

Then I switched it out for another head unit (Pioneer MVH-X580DAB) for a few weeks, and it was working. The guy I lent it from had his own wiring harness to fit it. When I was finished with borrowing it, I switched to the first stereo again, but now there was no power or sound. I also noticed the clock was going 99% dim when connecting the power-connector to the stereo.

Today I tried a new stereo (Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB, which also has it's own harness from the ISO connector to the unit) and it still was the same with the clock going 99% dim and no sound nor power. I have tried the reset button, to no luck. The car clock goes 99% dim only when connecting the power connector. The clock also sometimes resets itself to 01:00

I have had something similar happen before where I had a working stereo (The same generic car store stereo as above), took it out (No new stereo inserted here), and when I was going to put it back in it just wouldn't get power. So I returned it and got another identical stereo. Worked perfectly. That would be the one I had sitting there before the MVH-X580DAB.

The car clock is also restarting after every time the car is powered off for a certain amount of time.
The last time I tried to start up the car today, the clock just wouldn't work at all.
I don't know what's causing this issue, but it seems to be connected to the problem that the stereo won't get power.

That's when I thought of googling car clock resets. My roof light wasn't working either. So it turns out there's a fuse called DOME which controls the roof light, the clock and the radio memory or something. The DOME fuse was broken and when I replaced it, everything magically worked.
I suspect there is something fishy going on with exactly that generic car store brand stereo unit which causes the DOME fuse to break.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are illumination and dimming wire connections to aftermarket radios (orange and orange/white).  These aren't always compatible in the way you'd expect (some need 12V and some need ground).  Even without knowing your car's specific wiring by memory, i'm not surprised the issues were interlinked.  

You can focus your efforts on understanding how the dimmer and illumination wires should be connected in your car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.