no sound from woofers

Participant count
  • Participant list

drummergrrl

Ok here's the deal. I have two JBL 10" in my car that I'm not getting anything out. I'm getting sound out everywhere else. I''m getting power to my amp and I've even tried a different amp and it didn't work either. I've taken out the woofers and hooked them up inside and they work fine. I tried hooking another up to the output at the head and nothing came out . So is it possible that it's a problem at output of the head unit?? I've tried several different things ... anyone have an idea?? thanks

jamie

how can the ground affect the output of the amp?

cuz i have the same prob, n it's none of the wiring. i replaced the RCAs, checked everything, amp is gettin power, but no signal going out to subs. i checked with another sub, n zip. i m gonna try hookin subs to another amp, or replacin amp. but does ground really affect teh output?

Ah, sorry. I didn't see that she said she had power to the amp. Make sure it's a good connection and there is little or no voltage drop from the battery when the engine is off. If you get power, and you have a good ground then there are 3 things that could be wrong. Remote wire, RCA's, or the amplifier itself. Remote wire carries current, so you can check that w/ a DMM. Same w/ RCA's. If it's neither, then try replacement with a friends amp.

Originally posted by drummergrrl Ok here's the deal. I have two JBL 10" in my car that I'm not getting anything out. I'm getting sound out everywhere else. I''m getting power to my amp and I've even tried a different amp and it didn't work either. I've taken out the woofers and hooked them up inside and they work fine. I tried hooking another up to the output at the head and nothing came out . So is it possible that it's a problem at output of the head unit?? I've tried several different things ... anyone have an idea?? thanks

jamie
i fixed my problem with the amp, it was just the fuse that's by the battery so that's good.

r u sure u gettin power to ur amp? while the amp is "on", take te + power off the amp, cuz the amp might just be "on" but from the remote wire, it's not really turned on tho. so check the fuse u got nothing to lose.

"taken out the woofers n hooked them up inside"? what u mean inside? if u hooked them to another amp n they work, then that's good, it aint the subs.

either way, this is what i did to see what the problem was:

1. check fuses from battery n from amp. good place to start.

2. make sure all the connections r fine.

3. plug another sub that works for sure (borrow one from a friend) into ur output of amp, if dont' work then it's not the subs.

4. try pluggin someone else's amp into ur setup, n hook ur JBL subs, if still not then...

5. try replacing the RCAs n see if that aint it.

6. if u still haven't fixed ur problem, then it aint the wires, nor the power, nor the amp, nor the sub. so it's left to the head unit. n dunno how to check that. but u can't check the subwoofer outputs w a multimeter, i think they need to open it up, or do some tests on it.

good luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.