no rear speakers? HELP!!!!

filthyfiresnake
10+ year member

Maryland
Hey all, i recently installed a legacy amp running two dvc digital audio subs in my truck...i have the patch cables off my head unit coming off the rear output, yet my main rear speakers (not-that-good polk 6.5 inchers) obviously distort at the high volumes i play (i have a crystal component system in the front which i LOVE)...if i disconnected the two polks in the rear, would that cause a problem since the head unit's internal amp would still be sending power through the wires? will this cause a short/overload somehwere, be it in the head unit or elsewhere?

It shouldn't. I dont know the technicalities of it, but I know when my rear 6x9's blew, I disconnected them for 2 weeks until I got my Kappas and installed them, and I had no problems. Although I didnt have an amp and subs hooked up.....someone who knows more about the technical aspects would be able to give you a definite answer.

when you disconnect your rear speakers , you just opened the circuit between the head unit's amplifier and the load (speakers) therefore, there is no current flow, therefore , no power loss, just make sure you tape the ends of the speaker wires so they dont make contact with each other or any metal part of the car................but wait.............you say you want to disconnect your rear speakers because when you pump the volume they distort right? why dont you just use a filter capacitor on each rear speaker to filter o ut the bass that goes to those speakers, in effect , you will keep the imaging that the rear speakers create but they wont rattle because no bass is going to them.... capacitors cost like 50 cents each, so you cant lose.

LamontJersey is right.

If you disconnect the speakers nothing will go wrong. The amplifier will however still use power, so I would also disconnect the remote wire from the amp so it stays shut off.

Also, as LamontJersey said, use some passive x-overs and filter the bass out of the rear speakers. This will reduce the distortion and keep your rear imaging.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.