No more good single Din headunits???

got-one-eight
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So I have been out of car audio a while..I gave my g/f my Alpine CDA-9835 and picked up a 9887 which I ran for a couple years. I did not care for this unit. It felt cheap compared to my 9835. It sounded no better and only gave me a few color options. The 9835 did like over 400 colors so you could match it to your interior lighting dead on. I started looking radio's and found my self wondering what happened to Alpine. The CDA-117 is a joke in comparison to thier old units. It looks nice but no 3 way active and I have to buy a stupid add on piece to get any real tuning??? I am guessing our tanking economy had something to do with this. So today if I want a new model single DIN unit with 3 way active ability.. where do I look? Eclipse is gone.. Alpine gave up active.. WTF? So I took back the CDA-9835 (My Precious) and picked up my g/f a Kenwood x895... it can turn purple.. she is happy. Now I am wondering how much longer this unit will last me as it was made in like 2004? So are there any high end units that are still good? I don't mean a $1000 Pioneer but where are the good 500-600$ Single DIN units?

All good points.. well besides the bestbuy comment.. really? I like the new Kenwoods but they don't do enough for what I want like the older single DIN's thats used to be available. I knew Ecilpse stopped production which *****. Wish I could get my hands on a new 7200MKII. I passed one up a while back for about $400. It feels like there is a certain level of single DIN units that just dont exist anymore. Guess I have to start looking at external pieces to run active and to be able to get the tuning I want. I had introducing extra components into my system...

I went with Pioneer this time since alpines didn't have crossovers which I need to have. So far I love it, it does everything I want and has a usb port on back and front, although my cda-9833 had a better equalizer since it was parametric instead of graphic.

soundstream. pioneer i love mine.. single din LCD ftw //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ive heard JVC makes good ones, their upper end.

clarion?

Do clarions have crossovers yet? I looked into them years ago but couldn't find any with crossovers.
Sense about 2004/2005. Before that, it was the high end HU's along with one of their DSP's. Wifes in bed or I'd go look through all the brochures to find out exactly what year they started.

Other then that it was also their very tippy top of the line HU's, HX-D10, DRX/DRZ9255, my fav the ADCS-1.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.