No more good single Din headunits???

None of them what they used to be. I think the problem is, these companies can tie up so much R&D into a super high fidelity SQ head unit and only sell 100 of them or produce something that's fair with a bunch of features that's pretty much disposable and sell millions of them. The market drives what the industry makes. I see people here saying things that are total **** are good, so clearly 99% of people are happy with low to average quality stuff.

Honestly I'd say the Alpine (with the add-ons of course) is your best bet if you don't want to buy old/used.

That all being said, I'm moderately happy with high end Kenwood stuff. Not amazing, but priced right so that when it dies in a year and a half I don't shed a tear throwing it away.

None of the mass market head units have active front stage capability. That's their biggest shortfall.. IMO. I don't understand why can't manufacturers make say a $400 head unit with these capabilities:

1. 2-way active front stage.

2. 15-20 band equalizer.

3. Time alignment

4. Bluetooth phone support, USB for Ipod, etc.

5. No internal amplifier please. Only pre-outs.

They would sell like hotcakes..:p

Add 3-way active frontstage capability with extra 2 pre-outs in a $500 premium model.

Pioneer P99RS fits the bill, but the price is just too much..

That's whats frustrating also... It wouldn't cost all that much more to add those features in and they would save a little by not having an internal amp.

As it is, most average - quality units have 3 preouts. It wouldn't take that much more to make a 3-way crossover.

Maybe they figure people looking for that quality can go active at the amp or preamp level?

stupid *** idea pioneer came up with. I dont know. And i will believe the above statement when i hear it for myself. I HAVE NEVER HEARD A HIGH END PIONEER THAT SOUNDED BETTER THAN A HIGH END ALPINE!! LOL
You serious? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Bassin Buick,

I highly doubt that people could pick out an Alpine from say the Pioneer P99RS..... Anytime you get into the $800+ range, I think you would have to have 'golden ears' to be able to pick out the unit, especially in a blind test. (ala Richard Clarke).

Unless you plan on playing CD-audio (only), I don't think you realize that anything that plays MP3's is going to sound comparable, until you get into the CD-A or FLAC loss-less formats.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're pretty cool, but that statement is a little over the top... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Bassin Buick,I highly doubt that people could pick out an Alpine from say the Pioneer P99RS..... Anytime you get into the $800+ range, I think you would have to have 'golden ears' to be able to pick out the unit, especially in a blind test. (ala Richard Clarke).

Unless you plan on playing CD-audio (only), I don't think you realize that anything that plays MP3's is going to sound comparable, until you get into the CD-A or FLAC loss-less formats.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're pretty cool, but that statement is a little over the top... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Why is it over the top?? It's completely true. LOL. I HAVE NEVER HEARD A HIGH END PIONEER!! LOL. Best offering i have heard from them is a mid level premier deck. Now i have heard some bad *** alpines , eclipses , ES , and older clarion's that would **** in every pioneers "that i have heard" cornflakes.

last i checked i don't think the p99rs has a pico fuse in it. i know mine don't but i have the jap version the 01
ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner. HUGE difference between the regular pioneer and the ODR/Stage 4 products. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner. HUGE difference between the regular pioneer and the ODR/Stage 4 products. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I still dont understand the point of the pico fuse. LOL

Supposed safety feature to keep num skullz from shorting out the low level outputs......aka crappy design lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well, if it's any comfort, I'm still using a Kenwood eXcellon deck that is from '04 or '05 and it's doing just fine... every now and then it'll have a little trouble ejecting a CD, that's it though. But like you, I'm in the market for when it does die. Why not just keep an eye out for a good used Eclipse or Alpine deck? I'm sure something nice will pop-up before yours dies out. If you can find a minty 7200MKII at a good price, who cares if it's used?

you can prokly find a 7200 on ebay, but tge market for high end sq decks isn't worth the effort of making because they will never out sell the 150-200 dollar decks

I found a couple Eclipse 7200's on ebay.. they are going for about 350+ used! My 9835 is solid so I am good. I wish someoen still made atleast one good high end unit in the 500-600$ range that can do 3way active.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.