Nice Setup - Sounds... Ummm... Strange

Participant count
  • Participant list

sitesjc

Hey all, I need some help. I'm not a newbie in car audio, but also not a pro. In short, I have a nice enough setup, but the system seems to be lacking soul. It's hard to describe, but let me give you the gist.

A while back, I had a carputer system in my 05 Toyota Tacoma, which was great at the time. Technology got better, as did my cell phone, so I decided to scrap it for a nicer system. Here's what I've got going:

• Head unit: Alpine CDE HD 148BT
  • Main amp: Memphis I forget the model number, with 4 inputs
  • Front speakers: Memphis Street Reference (I forget exact size)
  • Rear Spearks: Boston Acoustics SR 65s (I forget exact size)
  • Subwoofer: Memphis Shallow 10"
  • Sub Amp: Memphis

Alright, when I initially hooked it up, I was in a huge hurry (long story), so I reused the old RCA cables. One was shoddy and gave me a fair amount of noise/bad audio. So, I tore it all apart this last weekend and ran all new RCAs. That's 2 for the front, 2 for the rear, and 2 for the subs. System is setup with power away from audio, etc.

Here's the deal. It sounds really clear, like really clear. The only thing is that it sounds well, off. The audio is crisp, but I feel like it is lacking midrange/body. There's specific songs that I listen to, and they seem to have an ever so slight fuzz to them. Not bad, just not quite right.

One more note - when I first hooked it up, it seemed to sound great. But I realized later that the rear channels weren't working. I took off the RCA connections, put them back on, and viola, they were back.

Here's what I've tried:

• Ground loop isolator - didn't seem like it would do anything, and it didn't
  • Checking grounds - all seem good
  • Wiggling RCA cables - it feels like it is maybe some sort of signal issue?

So what are your thoughts? Could a speaker or two be out of phase? Note, I've never had an HD radio prior to this, it's always been non HD. Am I just not used to this type of system?

I'd love your input, thanks in advance.

Try using fader/balance to listen to only front, rear, left, right, or one set of speakers at a time. Might be something is out of phase or wants to be run out of phase.

Yeah, I had a similar thought. I tried disconnecting each speaker (1 at a time), and hooking them back up, then switching the polarity. The fuzziness remained.
Switched polarity or just switched the RCA's around?

Had this issue been with this setup since the beginning, or did it change after you changed some things around?

Switched the polarity of the wires. Well, oddly enough, I've always had a slight issue with this amp, that I always attributed to my carputer setup. I'm thinking now it's been the amp all along.

Switched the polarity of the wires. Well, oddly enough, I've always had a slight issue with this amp, that I always attributed to my carputer setup. I'm thinking now it's been the amp all along.
Could very well be the amp...You can mess with each RCA individually to see which may possibly be an issue..The RCA connector may be coming loose from the mother board due to vibration/road vibration over time.Pretty easy fix....To really clean your system up and have more control over your mids, highs,and subs, and mid bass...I recommend a pre-amp EQ/In dash , at your fingertips.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.