How to finish rest of system? - 4runner

Participant count
  • Participant list

unrealii
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So Cal
I have a 2002 Toyota 4runner. I want better, clearer sound, some sq bass, and HD radio. Factory setup is a 4 channel, 6 speaker system (2 speakers in the each front doors, 1 in each rear). I also want the radio parts out of the way because this car is used for adventures.

I have purchased the following:

HU: Pioneer Scion T1819 - has 1 pair of preouts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Amps: PPI 900.4 & PPI 600.2

Front Speakers: Polk Audio MM6501

Deadening: 40 sq feet of material

I need your help:

1) What sub should I buy? I need something non-evasive. If it can fit under the seats or out of the way, the better!!

2) With soo many channels of power, should I even bother replacing the rear speakers and sending amplified signal in there? (I only have 1 set of preouts which are not-faded by the HU). I would have to wire up an LOC...or Bi-amp the front stage with the 900.4 run the sub(s) off the 600.2 and the rear factory speakers off the HU

3) Can I find subs to put in the rear doors and ditch the rear speakers?? This would solve my dilemma of not taking up any inside space for subs. Would these sound okay though? What about sound quality/discomfort for those sitting in the rear seats?

4) Or should I find some mid range speakers for the rear doors (like components without the tweeter part)...question after that: amp or no amp?

Long Story:

Its been a looong time since I have been in the car audio scene. Here's some work with my Nissan Maxima: My Install - False Floor - Polk Audio

I used to run an Eclipse HU, Eclipse Amps, Polk SR speakers, Image Dynamics IDQ sub. I left the car audio scene when I sold that car as my replacement car had a decent radio and I wasn't ready to hack it up.

Anyways, fast forward 3 years later, I am ready to rip the sound out of this new-to-me 4 runner I just acquired.

Original Plan (keep costs really low): Replace factory head unit with Scion Pioneer T1819 & add JBL Gx900C components for the front (70w rms, handling so probably best suited among all the speakers I looked at to run off stock hu)

Reason for this HU: I am restricted to this HU because it is one of the few which have HD radio and good quality, large buttons. The radio placement is very far below eye level, so touch screen solutions will be a terrible experience. All other Double DIN radios have small or cheap feeling buttons for station preselect, so I decided to take an OEM scion radio.

Anyways, I shared my plans with my old buddies how each of them had 4runners and NEEDED to add a sub after changing the hu and front stage (I knew this but was in denial). Those morons planted the seed and later that evening I was looking at integrated sub solutions like a JBL Basspro SL.

After wasting hours of researching integrated sub solutions, I figured I could buy and amp and a sub with an enclosure for cheaper...and with the addition of an Amp, I might as well amp the fronts. If I amp the fronts, I might as well go with the speakers I would rather run - Polk MM6501

Amps: I began searching for a 4 channel amp to run in 3 channel mode - power front speakers and 1 small sub. I stumbled across a deal great for a 4 & 2 channel amp, so I bought them. I picked up a PPI 900.4 & PPI 600.2.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.